Blaine Gabbert has a torn labrum in his non-throwing shoulder according to ESPN’s Ed Werder. Dr. James Andrews – yes, that James Andrews – will take a look today and make the call on how the 2nd year QB should proceed.
One NFL player (Ed Reed) is currently playing through the injury; another, Chris Gamble, just had his season ended due to the injury.
Based on the early returns of Chad Henne’s performance against the Raiders, losing Gabbert – who is not exactly playing like an All-Pro – would be brutal for the 1-5 Jaguars, who have the NFL’s worst offense (league-low 88 points scored).
This sets up an interesting race for the No. 1 pick in the 2013 draft between the Browns, Chiefs, and Jaguars. All three probably are in need of a QB, even though Brandon Weeden has been improving in Cleveland, and Gabbert hasn’t played enough for the team to decide whether to dump him or not.
The bigger question: Who are the three teams targeting? West Virginia’s Geno Smith looked dynamite early, but has cooled off in recent weeks; USC’s Matt Barkley has done the opposite. Tyler Wilson has been hurt, Tyler Bray is not in the discussion, and Logan Thomas/EJ Manuel aren’t, either.
Clearly, there’s no Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III in this draft.
- Rich Rodriguez’s 50th Birthday Featured a Mariachi Band [Video]
- The Evolution of Chris ‘Birdman’ Andersen is the Craziest Set of Photos You’ll See This Week
- Champions League Final: Arjen Robben’s Late Goal Wins it for Bayern Munich [Video]
- Champions League Final: Neven Subotic Makes Terrific Sliding Stop to Thwart Sure Goal [Video]
- LeBron James and Michael Jordan Have Now Been Compared to God by NBA Players
- FloridaSteel36 on Will Smith & DJ Jazzy Jeff Sang the Fresh Prince Song and Alfonso Ribeiro Danced on the Graham Norton Show
- Roethlishotdog on The Evolution of Chris 'Birdman' Andersen is the Craziest Set of Photos You'll See This Week
- vermincain on LeBron James and Michael Jordan Have Now Been Compared to God by NBA Players
- A.P. on Rich Rodriguez's 50th Birthday Featured a Mariachi Band [Video]
- You People on Umpires Screw Up Another Call on This Texas Rangers 'Double Play' [GIF]
29 Responses to “Blaine Gabbert: Torn Labrum. Jags Join Chiefs, Browns in Battle for 1st NFL Draft Pick”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.