With the NBA lottery order set, it seems like the ideal time for a mock draft. The lottery takes place on May 30th, and then the draft is June 28th. Here’s a stab at what the draft might look like if the ping pong balls hold true to form.
1. Charlotte – Anthony Davis, C, Kentucky.
2. Washington – Brad Beal, SG, Florida. Third worst 3-point shooting team in the league adds a premier shooter. Love MKG, but I’ll lean Beal here.
3. Cleveland – Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, F, Kentucky. Cavs could draft for any position but PG.
4. New Orleans – Thomas Robinson, PF, Kansas. Like Drummond – think he’s got a higher upside – but they need scoring inside.
5. Sacramento – Andre Drummond, PF/C, UConn. With a Cousins/Drummond interior, will this team finally play defense?
21. Boston – Moe Harkless, F, St. John’s. Innate scoring ability who could become a very nice player in a couple years.
22. Boston – Doron Lamb, G, Kentucky. He won’t be the next Ray Allen, but he’s a tremendous 3-point shooter.
23. Atlanta – Tony Wroten, PG, Washington. As I tweeted last month, Wroten wanted to stay in college but was wooed because the Hawks are enamored with him. He definitely will not get past this spot.
24. Cleveland – Terrence Jones, F, Kentucky. He’s got the talent go in the lottery, and probably will. I just couldn’t find a spot for him.
25. Memphis – Quincy Miller, F, Baylor. With no pressing needs, the Grizzlies grab a guy who was never 100% as a freshman and might have been a lottery pick if he stayed another year.
26. Indiana – Festus Ezeli, C, Vanderbilt. A lot is up in the air for the Pacers after next season (other than Granger). Assuming they want to keep Hill, George and Hibbet, size would be a wise pick here.
27. Miami – Marquis Teague, PG, Kentucky. Heat have one more year with Chalmers/Cole, and Teague might be better than both of them.
28. Oklahoma City – Will Barton, G, Memphis. Not quite insurance for James Harden (who may bolt after next year), but Barton’s got a terrific skill set.
29. Chicago – Scott Machado, PG, Iona. Probably can’t afford to keep Watson, and Machado is more of a pure point guard than Lucas. Derrick Rose could miss the first two months of next season, and there’s certainly no need to rush the franchise back.
30. Golden State – Andrew Nicholson, F, St. Bonaventure. Had this pick in last mock draft, might as well stick with it.