Johnny Manziel Was Spectacular, But Alabama Wins, 49-42
Nick Saban to Kevin Sumlin at midfield after Alabama 49, Texas A&M 42: “You took about 10 years off my life.” Yeah, Nick, having to hold on for dear life after the Tide led by 21 in the 4th will do that to you.
A few quick thoughts:
* Johnny Manziel was 28-39 for 465 yards, an 11.9 YPA, five TDs, and two picks. I’ll save you the math: He completed 71 percent of his passes. Heisman-caliber numbers.* Oh, Manziel also had a decent game running the football: 14 carries, 98 yards. Sure, he threw two costly interceptions – one in the end zone, and one that was run back for a TD – but he’s the only reason this was remotely close, as the A&M defense was grotesque.
* When was the last time anyone gashed a Nick Saban defense like Manziel just did? Texas A&M racked up 628 yards of total offense, and averaged a staggering 8.9 yards per play. One report says that is the most yards Alabama has ever allowed.
* Mike Evans, the Texas A&M WR is a stud. Gotta be a first round pick, right? Or is Alabama’s secondary that bad?
* TJ Yeldon had a costly fumble, one that kept the Aggies in the game, but let’s not forget the 149 yards he rushed for. He won’t be in the Heisman discussion, but between his fumble and impressive ability, he’ll probably be the most important factor in the LSU game.
* Texas A&M’s defense truly was embarrassing, never laying a finger on AJ McCarron, who threw four TDs and was masterful all night. McCarron will be in the Heisman discussion. Texas A&M’s defense will keep the Aggies out of the title game, and maybe the BCS, if Manziel can’t put up these kinds of numbers against LSU.
Previously: Vinnie Sunseri Pick-Six on Tipped Pass Gives Alabama 35-14 Lead, Game Over Already?
Previously: Texas A&M Fans Try to Remain Positive While Alabama is Rolling
Previously: Johnny Manziel Magic: Escapes Lineman, Converts 1st Down with Prayer of a Pass
Previously: Johnny Football Looks Excited to See the Alabama Defense
Previously: Kirby Smart, Alabama’s Defensive Coordinator, is Confused by Johnny Manziel So Far