A big group of Vice Sports staffers were the latest casualty in a string of bad news for online sportswriters this year. ESPN, SI, Yahoo, Fox Sports, Vocativ, and MTV all had big layoffs before them. This conversation with TBL founder and editor-in-chief Jason McIntyre and Kyle Scott, the founder of the Philly sports blog Crossing Broad, touched on the following:
- Reactions to the latest news
- If you’re a writer now, how do you survive the thinning of the herd and make a living in this industry?
- What do you do if you’d reached a pretty good income level, got laid off, and can’t come anywhere close to what you were making in the current marketplace?
- The evolution of the mainstream media as aggregators.
- Various revenue models: apparel, sponsorships, surveys, etc.
- Why the legalization of gambling would put a lot of money back into the marketplace immediately.
Hope you enjoy the conversation!