Watch an Olympic Pole Vaulter Go From Ecstatic Joy to Child-Like Tirade After His Jump Was Ruled Invalid [UPDATE - Full Tears!]
Renaud Lavillenie, an Olympic pole vaulting champion, thought he had made the second biggest leap in the sport’s history – 6.07 m.
(The record holder, indoors and out, is the legendary Sergei Bubka, who went 6.14 outdoors and 6.15 indoors.)
LaVillenie celebrated, but only briefly – then his jump was ruled invalid. Even though the bar didn’t fall, it made an unlucky bounce out of its peg-holding position. Then, LaVillenie went ballistic:
A furious Lavillenie kicked out at the advertising hoardings and launched an angry tirade against the judges before collapsing to the floor.
The collapsing onto the floor move is textbook – for kids under the age of three. We call it a meltdown. The most difficult one I had to deal with came unexpectedly in a Cheesecake Factory in the summer of 2012. I began sweating profusely and was at a loss for what to do (mom wasn’t on this excursion), as all of my go-to moves (videos on the phone, storytelling, food, milk, etc) were not working.
As for LaVillenie, he managed to scrape himself up off the floor and still took gold in the event.
[UPDATE: Via Cork Gaines, here's video of LaVillenie crying.]
- Marlon Williams, the Former Texas Tech LB & Real World Castmember, Has a Rap Video
- Johnny Manziel is Not Undergoing “Social Implosion,” He’s Just a 20-Year-Old
- Jonny Gomes Hit a Walk-Off Homer, Auditioned to be an NFL Punter Rounding Third Base
- Christian Ponder Could Be Challenged for Starting Job by Matt Cassel, According to Adam Schefter
- Jozy Altidore is Hot, Jurgen Klinsmann is Making All the Right Moves, and US Soccer is on Fire
- Patrick Division on Christian Ponder Could Be Challenged for Starting Job by Matt Cassel, According to Adam Schefter
- Average_Joe on Jozy Altidore is Hot, Jurgen Klinsmann is Making All the Right Moves, and US Soccer is on Fire
- spencer096 on Johnny Manziel is Not Undergoing "Social Implosion," He's Just a 20-Year-Old
- vermincain on Gregg Popovich, Shaky Down the Stretch, Was Surly With the Media Afterward [Video]
- orly57 on Aaron Hernandez: Report Says He Has Not Been Ruled Out as a Suspect in Homicide
11 Responses to “Watch an Olympic Pole Vaulter Go From Ecstatic Joy to Child-Like Tirade After His Jump Was Ruled Invalid [UPDATE - Full Tears!]”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.