Charles Woodson is reportedly going to be released by the Green Bay Packers, in news that was originally broken by Woodson’s winery account (?), and confirmed by his agent. The 8 time pro bowler who was Defensive Player of the Year in 2009 with Green Bay missed 9 games last season with a broken collarbone.
Injury risk and age have caught up with Woodson, but is there any precedent for a player like Woodson changing teams this late in his career? Here are the four safeties I found from searching a list of defensive backs starting at least 8 games at age 37 or older.
- Brian Dawkins to the Broncos at age 36 in 2009, played three seasons in Denver.
- Rod Woodson moved from Baltimore to Oakland in 2002 at age 37 after being cut for cap reasons, was named all pro in 2002, played one more year.
- Lawyer Milloy went to Seattle at age 36 in 2010, played for two seasons.
- Eugene Robinson had one final year in 2000 with Carolina at age 37 after leaving Atlanta.
The Raiders found success in bringing another Hall of Famer in Rod Woodson into Oakland, where he played with Charles as Oakland reached the Super Bowl. None of the guys on the above list had a serious injury the year before they changed teams, but the guess here is that enough teams will have interest that Woodson will play one more year. Look for him to go the Woodson route and find a team ready to compete now, because the window may be only one season.
[photo via USA Today Sports Images]
- LeBron James’ Game-Winning Lay Up at the Buzzer in Overtime While Roy Hibbert Sat on the Bench [Video]
- Paul George Hit a Ridiculous 3 to Send it Into Overtime After Throwing the Ball Away Moments Earlier [Video]
- Paul George Wore Aqua Pants and a Green, Amoeba-Pattered Dress Shirt to Game 1 in Miami
- Shane Battier Kneed Roy Hibbert in the Balls [Video]
- Chuck Norris Wants a NFL Team to Sign Tim Tebow Because He is a Winner Like Chuck Norris
- knifeyspoony on Paul George Wore Aqua Pants and a Green, Amoeba-Pattered Dress Shirt to Game 1 in Miami
- wildcat1144 on LeBron James' Game-Winning Lay Up at the Buzzer in Overtime While Roy Hibbert Sat on the Bench [Video]
- A.P. on Paul George Wore Aqua Pants and a Green, Amoeba-Pattered Dress Shirt to Game 1 in Miami
28 Responses to “Charles Woodson Reportedly to Be Released By Packers, What Are His Prospects?”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.