NBC will air the series finale of 30 Rock tonight, ending the shows 7-season run as one of the best comedies on television. I will miss 30 Rock. I will miss the way it looked, the way it smelled, the way it made me laugh every Thursday night while NBC shuffled around soon-to-be-failed sitcom around it. I love 30 Rock so much I want to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant. No homo.
Keep in mind this isn’t all the sports moments on 30 Rock. Video doesn’t exist online for bits like Gay SportsCenter or throwaway lines like Tracy Jordan owning the world’s only giraffe basketball team, the New York Necks. Or Dennis Duffy wearing something from Amar’e Stoudemire’s evening wear collection. Or when Dennis Duffy teamed up with the Stanley Cup to fight illiteracy. Or lots of stuff because 30 Rock was great.
Liz Lemon Joins a WNBA Dance Team
One thing that made Liz happy was dancing. Where do you even come up with the idea of a New York Liberty dance team? Real life, obviously.
The Phillie Phanatic is an undersea king
30 Rock gave the Phanatic a voice and that voice revealed that he is an undersea king. Wrestler Mankind also appeared on this episode.
Related: Liz Lemon is from Philadelphia so she appreciates the Phillie Phanatic on a different level than most people. Plus, your town sucks.
Back in the Fall people still knew who Ryan Lochte was. 30 Rock brought him on to play a dumbed down version of himself as a sex idiot. Or was it a smartened up version? This season Liz Lemon even used Lochte’s catchphrase, “Jeah.”
Canadian High School Football Movie
Two weeks ago we got a Marc Trestman reference. So we have already covered this brilliantly crafted joke about Canadian football.
Tennis Night in America
The Football Night in America song is pointless and 30 Rock loved needling NBC. Hence, Tennis Night in America. Something so stupid that it would only exist because a network purchased a weekly tennis match. Then there would definitely be a song. And this would probably be it to save money.
While I couldn’t find the Gay SportsCenter clip, Sports Shouting is on YouTube and it is a perfect parody of ESPN’s many awful shows where talking heads shout at each other. The only problem is that you can’t make anyone seem as awful as Skip Bayless in less than 30 seconds.
Michael Schur has worked on three fairly important pieces of art in his time: Fire Joe Morgan, The Office and Parks & Recreation. 30 Rock borrowed his incredible name.
- Jonny Gomes Hit a Walk-Off Homer, Auditioned to be an NFL Punter Rounding Third Base
- Christian Ponder Could Be Challenged for Starting Job by Matt Cassel, According to Adam Schefter
- Jozy Altidore is Hot, Jurgen Klinsmann is Making All the Right Moves, and US Soccer is on Fire
- Aaron Hernandez: Report Says He Has Not Been Ruled Out as a Suspect in Homicide
- Gregg Popovich, Shaky Down the Stretch, Was Surly With the Media Afterward [Video]
- husker1 on Jozy Altidore is Hot, Jurgen Klinsmann is Making All the Right Moves, and US Soccer is on Fire
- TNCOWBOY7 on Christian Ponder Could Be Challenged for Starting Job by Matt Cassel, According to Adam Schefter
- scripty on Miami and San Antonio Game 6 Thriller Generated a Monster 14.7 Overnight TV Rating
- arkbadger on Christian Ponder Could Be Challenged for Starting Job by Matt Cassel, According to Adam Schefter
- knifeyspoony on Christian Ponder Could Be Challenged for Starting Job by Matt Cassel, According to Adam Schefter
27 Responses to “30 Rock’s Best Sports Moments: An Incomplete Video History”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.