Statistically, Rudy Gay’s having one of the worst years of his career. He’s never shot the ball so poorly (40 percent) and this is the lowest scoring season (17.2 ppg) he’s had since his rookie year.
Also, there’s that whole go-through-Randolph-and-Gasol angle which helped them make a run in the 2011 NBA playoffs while Gay was injured, whereas they couldn’t get out of the first round in 2012 with Gay healthy.
Perhaps most importantly, he’s expensive. Memphis is on the hook for $16 million this year, $17 million next year, then $19 million.
So the Grizzlies are looking to unload him. Who wants to take on that salary? Maybe Phoenix.
There’s no framework of a possible deal in place, but the Grizzlies have expressed a strong desire that any package involving Gay include Suns forward Jared Dudley and future first-round draft picks, sources said.
The Suns have first round picks from the Lakers in 2013 and 2015 (and this year’s, if LA continues to struggle, could be a lottery pick).
I think the Grizzlies are going to have a difficult time dealing Gay. They’re not going to be looking to take on any bigs, and point guard Mike Conley’s got four more years left on his deal. So are they going to acquire a cheap shooting guard and spare parts? Or just spare parts and picks? ESPN is speculating the crummy Raptors could get involved, but the guy they want to unload (Bargnani), has $33 million left on his deal.
I don’t see anything happening, which may not be a bad thing for Memphis. After all, they are 22-10, 4th in the West. No trade is going to make them better than the Thunder; they played the Clippers virtually even in the playoffs last year before losing in Game 7; I like Memphis against the Spurs in a series.
- Lionel Messi Holding His Son Thiago Is Your Sports Photo of the Week
- UCLA AD Dan Guerrero Would Like People Stop Focusing on Steve Alford’s Past and Instead Look at What He Has Accomplished at UCLA
- Chris Parmelee of the Twins Got Hit in a Sensitive Area While Running to First [GIF]
- Steelers Fans Who Have Difficulty Spelling Should Avoid Homemade Tattoos
- Twins are Screening ‘The Sandlot’ at Target Field Today; Squints and Ham Showed Up, Too
- orly57 on Steelers Fans Who Have Difficulty Spelling Should Avoid Homemade Tattoos
- orly57 on Fans Are Buying All of Robert Griffin III's Wedding Registry Gifts, and He Has a Picture to Prove It
- resolutedefense on Premier League: Arsenal Books Champions League Spot; Spurs Snake Bitten Again
- Benjamin Franklin Rodriguez has the highest WAR evah! on Twins are Screening 'The Sandlot' at Target Field Today; Squints and Ham Showed Up, Too
- A.P. on Twins are Screening 'The Sandlot' at Target Field Today; Squints and Ham Showed Up, Too
11 Responses to “Memphis is Looking to Trade Rudy Gay, But It Won’t Be Easy”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.