Rob Parker’s 1st Interview on His ESPN Suspension: Robert Griffin III Was “pushing away” From Black People
Rob Parker, the ESPN talking head who was suspended for a month after calling Redskins QB Robert Griffin III a “cornball brother,” has broken his silence.
In his first words – I’m not counting the twitter apology – since the December debacle, Parker spoke with Detroit’s Flashpoint. It was a safe option given that the host acknowledges their friendship. The entire interview – less than seven minutes – can be found here, and begins at the 3:20 mark. A few highlights:
* I can see where people would take it out of context and run with it …” [Ed. That's hilarious. Here is a fresher on his comments.]
* “It was never about condemning the young man … it was more about concerns, not condemning.” [Ed. How sweet. He's concerned for a Pro Bowler who might win Rookie of the Year!]
* “… a conversation that’s had in the black community when athletes or famous entertainers or whatever push away from their people … you saw it from OJ Simpson, “well I’m not black, I’m OJ.” [Ed. His people? Let me check the calendar to make sure we're in 2013 ...]
* “I wasn’t saying that he wasn’t black enough. When people say that, it’s just not true. I was saying these are the conversations that take place, once a guy pushes away …” [Ed. So it's very obvious that Rob Parker learned his lesson. Obviously.]
Parker, who mentions that he owns a barbershop, goes on to defend First Take – “tackling a lot of stuff most shows won’t discuss” – and says the show’s staff knew “for the most part … which way we were going.” [H/T Chris K.]
- The Combination of Two Teams From Same Country Hasn’t Produced the Best Champions League Finals [Video Rewind]
- Will Smith & DJ Jazzy Jeff Sang the Fresh Prince Song and Alfonso Ribeiro Danced on the Graham Norton Show
- Robbie Rogers Becomes 1st Openly Gay Player in MLS, How Will Media React?
- Umpires Screw Up Another Call on This Texas Rangers ‘Double Play’ [GIF]
- Tennnesse High School Soccer Team Wins State Title on 54-Yard Free Kick in Overtime [Video]
- got_em_looking on Robbie Rogers Becomes 1st Openly Gay Player in MLS, How Will Media React?
- scripty on Robbie Rogers Becomes 1st Openly Gay Player in MLS, How Will Media React?
- VladimirCrouton on Robbie Rogers Becomes 1st Openly Gay Player in MLS, How Will Media React?
- jdeeser5 on Umpires Screw Up Another Call on This Texas Rangers 'Double Play' [GIF]
- Roethlishotdog on Umpires Screw Up Another Call on This Texas Rangers 'Double Play' [GIF]
68 Responses to “Rob Parker’s 1st Interview on His ESPN Suspension: Robert Griffin III Was “pushing away” From Black People”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.