Rob Parker’s 1st Interview on His ESPN Suspension: Robert Griffin III Was “pushing away” From Black People
Rob Parker, the ESPN talking head who was suspended for a month after calling Redskins QB Robert Griffin III a “cornball brother,” has broken his silence.
In his first words – I’m not counting the twitter apology – since the December debacle, Parker spoke with Detroit’s Flashpoint. It was a safe option given that the host acknowledges their friendship. The entire interview – less than seven minutes – can be found here, and begins at the 3:20 mark. A few highlights:
* I can see where people would take it out of context and run with it …” [Ed. That's hilarious. Here is a fresher on his comments.]
* “It was never about condemning the young man … it was more about concerns, not condemning.” [Ed. How sweet. He's concerned for a Pro Bowler who might win Rookie of the Year!]
* “… a conversation that’s had in the black community when athletes or famous entertainers or whatever push away from their people … you saw it from OJ Simpson, “well I’m not black, I’m OJ.” [Ed. His people? Let me check the calendar to make sure we're in 2013 ...]
* “I wasn’t saying that he wasn’t black enough. When people say that, it’s just not true. I was saying these are the conversations that take place, once a guy pushes away …” [Ed. So it's very obvious that Rob Parker learned his lesson. Obviously.]
Parker, who mentions that he owns a barbershop, goes on to defend First Take – “tackling a lot of stuff most shows won’t discuss” – and says the show’s staff knew “for the most part … which way we were going.” [H/T Chris K.]
- Ukrainian Soccer Player Headbutts Teammate, Gets Sent Off [Video]
- Jeff Baker Suffers Thumb Injury Giving Teammate a High-Five, Goes on the Disabled List
- Aaron Hernandez Was Questioned as Part of a Homicide Investigation [UPDATE: Murdered Man Described as "An Associate" of Hernandez]
- Soccer Player Raul Meireles & Wife Ivone Viana Both Love Tiny Bathing Suits, Tattoos and Partially-Shaved Heads
- American League All-Star Starter: Scherzer, Darvish, Buchholz … Iwakuma?
- KC Resident on Ukrainian Soccer Player Headbutts Teammate, Gets Sent Off [Video]
- Curtis the Close talker on Aaron Hernandez Was Questioned as Part of a Homicide Investigation [UPDATE: Murdered Man Described as "An Associate" of Hernandez]
68 Responses to “Rob Parker’s 1st Interview on His ESPN Suspension: Robert Griffin III Was “pushing away” From Black People”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.