In July, we took a look at five coaches on the proverbial “hot seat” heading into the 2012 season. Three ended up getting fired. When the list was re-adjusted in October, Oregon State’s Mike Riley had coached his way out of trouble, and he was replaced by Joker Phillips of Kentucky, who has since been fired.
With this year’s coaching carousel finally slowing down – the best open jobs right now at Wisconsin, Colorado and Cincinnati – let’s look ahead 12 months to next December. What schools could be looking to hire a new coach?
Texas. Mack Brown’s struggles have been chronicled here. A lot will be depend on which players (especially on that terrible defense) declare for the NFL or return to Austin. Brown will be 62 next August, and as the success of Johnny Manziel (and RGIII in the pros) blossoms, Brown will continue to be mocked for wanting to recruit them as defensive backs.
Florida State. Jimbo Fisher. Three underwhelming seasons so far when you consider the talent, preseason expectations, and conference. The 2013 schedule doesn’t feature any difficult out-of-conference opponents besides rival Florida. He lost defensive coordinator Mark Stoops to Kentucky. I don’t think Fisher goes into the season on the hot seat, but I think given the program’s history, pressure will be turned up on Fisher if he scuffles again vs. inferior teams.
Missouri. Gary Pinkel’s been with the Tigers for 12 years, and finishing under .500 (5-7) in his first year in the SEC (while Texas A&M thrived) wasn’t a good look. A string of seven straight bowl games has been snapped. I do think Pinkel will open the season on the hot seat, and if he doesn’t win, he’ll be gone. What might make Missouri’s decision easier – the number of very, very good up-and-coming coaches (like
Hugh Freeze [UPDATE: Dammit to hell! Don't you hate it when you're looking at two lists at the same time and write the wrong bloody name? MIKE MACINTYRE is the name I was thinking about. We regret the error.]), who would love to jump into the SEC.
- John Tortorella And a Ref Dropped F-Bombs On Live TV During the Rangers-Bruins Game [Video]
- LeBron James and Paul George’s Epic Game 1 Battle Looks Even Cooler in Slow Motion [Video]
- Manchester City Players Were Super Excited To Catch Passes From Eli Manning [Video]
- Miami Heat Remix of Pitbull’s “Feel This Moment?” Dále!
- Buffalo Bills Fan Has O.J. Simpson Mug Shot Tattoo on His Thigh
- orly57 on John Tortorella And a Ref Dropped F-Bombs On Live TV During the Rangers-Bruins Game [Video]
- yorwifesahor on Buffalo Bills Fan Has O.J. Simpson Mug Shot Tattoo on His Thigh
- Nada on Fox Sports 1 Heavily in Pursuit of Former NFL Player Trevor Pryce and ESPN Chicago's Sarah Spain
- A.P. on Buffalo Bills Fan Has O.J. Simpson Mug Shot Tattoo on His Thigh
65 Responses to “What Might Next December’s College Football Coaching Carousel Look Like? [UPDATE]”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.