A reporter asked Chip Kelly about time of possession. He responded with the appropriate amount of levity, then shut him down with precise stats from a game that took place in 2010.
Without descending into nerd-snark, time of possession, by itself, means nothing. Let’s say you are given one stat from next week’s game: Stanford holds the ball for 40 minutes. Predict the outcome based on that. Did Stanford have its way with Oregon, sustaining drives down the field and slowing down the game? Did Stanford get boat-raced up and down the field with Oregon scoring too fast to hold possession? The possession time provides no useful information for determining the outcome.
Looking at national time of possession rankings. Kansas (15th) and Kansas State (16th) are one second per game apart on possession time. Those teams rank 106th and 10th respectively in yards per play offense. Oregon ranks 98th and generally ranks at or near the bottom. What matters is what a team does with the ball, not how long they hold it.
- Angel Pagan Hit a Walk-Off Inside-the-Park Home Run Today vs. the Rockies [Video]
- Rich Rodriguez’s 50th Birthday Featured a Mariachi Band [Video]
- The Evolution of Chris ‘Birdman’ Andersen is the Craziest Set of Photos You’ll See This Week
- Champions League Final: Arjen Robben’s Late Goal Wins it for Bayern Munich [Video]
- Champions League Final: Neven Subotic Makes Terrific Sliding Stop to Thwart Sure Goal [Video]
- Some Random Old Dude on Rich Rodriguez's 50th Birthday Featured a Mariachi Band [Video]
- Monster is Meth on Adam Scott and Other Golfers are Retaining Counsel in Response to the USGA Anchor Putter Ban
- A.P. on Will Smith & DJ Jazzy Jeff Sang the Fresh Prince Song and Alfonso Ribeiro Danced on the Graham Norton Show
- A.P. on Adam Scott and Other Golfers are Retaining Counsel in Response to the USGA Anchor Putter Ban
- Patrick Division on Adam Scott and Other Golfers are Retaining Counsel in Response to the USGA Anchor Putter Ban
86 Responses to “Chip Kelly Thinks Your Time of Possession Questions Are Silly”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.