DeMarcus Cousins wasn’t having a great game against the Spurs Friday – he finished 4-of-14 shooting and picked up five fouls in 22 minutes – but late in the contest, the former Kentucky center scored twice against Hall of Famer Tim Duncan, and then drew a foul on him. Cousins, a non-factor most of the night, briefly kept the Kings in the game with his flurry.
Cousins took this opportunity to shout, “I’m going to bust his ass!” at his teammates on the bench.
Tim Duncan responded with three straight baskets, blocked a Cousins shot, and finished with 23 points and 12 rebounds. The Spurs won, 97-86.
San Antonio announcer Sean Elliott (greatest player in the history of the University of Arizona!) happened to hear the Cousins trash talk, and said this on air:
“That’s why some humility is in order,” Elliott said on the air. “You think you’re dominating Tim Duncan, you get it stuffed right back in your face. Timmy doesn’t like to talk trash. But if guys start talking mess to him, he’s going to respond. All that trash talking was premature. I’m not about to let these guys off the hook. Young ballclub should learn from this. Don’t start talking and flapping your gums against one of the greatest players ever. He’s going to make you pay. Tell me who got the best of this exchange.”
Somehow, this mini-rant was quickly relayed to Cousins, who, less than 20 minutes later, left the locker room to confront Elliot on the court. According to Elliott’s play-by-play partner, Bill Schoening, “I observed Sean walk away from Cousins and Cousins continue to talk to Sean as he left the scene.”
Cousins was then suspended by the NBA for two games.
To recap: This is his 3rd year in the NBA and Cousins, 22, has already sat out for a game for a fight with a teammate (Donte Greene), demanded a trade (he denied it), gotten a coach fired, tried to fight Blake Griffin, and now, gone after an announcer.
We all do dumb things in our early 20s, but who is advising this young, mouthy, millionaire? There’s no question he’s the most immature player in the league, and the guess here is that Cousins is dangerously close to doing something JaVale McGee/Ricky Davis-like to get a triple-double, and any day now, he’s going to start referring to himself in the 3rd person. [via Spurs Nation]
- Chris Bosh Blocked Two Shots in the Final Moments to Help Miami Force Game 7 [Video]
- Ray Allen Forced Overtime By Hitting the 3-Pointer the Miami Heat Signed Him to Hit [Video]
- Mike Miller Hit a Huge 3-Pointer While Wearing Just One Shoe [Video]
- Jozy Altidore Scored Fourth Goal in Four Matches, Gave U.S. 1-0 Lead Against Honduras [Video]
- Tim Duncan Scores 25 in the First Half Against the Heat, Miami in Trouble
- Liquor on Chris Bosh Blocked Two Shots in the Final Moments to Help Miami Force Game 7 [Video]
- orly57 on Chris Bosh Blocked Two Shots in the Final Moments to Help Miami Force Game 7 [Video]
- Some Random Old Dude on Kawhi Leondard Slapped Mike Miller in the Face as He Dunked on Him in Game 6 [Video]
- vajayjay redick on Kawhi Leondard Slapped Mike Miller in the Face as He Dunked on Him in Game 6 [Video]
- resolutedefense on Kawhi Leondard Slapped Mike Miller in the Face as He Dunked on Him in Game 6 [Video]
30 Responses to “DeMarcus Cousins Had Words with Sean Elliott, the Spurs TV Analyst, and Got Suspended For it”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.