Brandon Rios and Mike Alvarado faced off last night in a junior welterweight fight on HBO. It was seven rounds of action before the referee stepped in to stop Alvarado from taking a beating. Up until then, the fight had been close with two judges having the fight even (57-57) while the other had Rios by a small margin (58-56). ESPN’s Dan Rafael was clearly smitten with the action:
They combined to throw 190 punches in the first round and never let up. They rocked each other repeatedly. There was a left hook from Rios that badly shook Alvarado at the end of the second round. By the fourth round, Alvarado’s face was swelling.
The fifth round was a round of the year candidate. Alvarado looked like he had Rios in trouble early, rocking him with a right hand and sending his head wobbling all over the place. He hurt Rios (31-0-1, 22 KOs), 26, of Oxnard, Calif., with an uppercut, and he looked like he might knock him down. But Rios rallied over the final 30 seconds, landing his own big shots as the crowd went wild.
Both were hurt at different points in the sixth and seventh before Rios landed a flurry, including a right hand that sent Alvarado (33-1, 23 KOs), 32, of Denver, staggering into the ropes. A few shots later Russell jumped in to stop it at 1 minute, 57 seconds.
Rios is now 31-0-1 in his career. The loss was the first of Alvarado’s carrer. Here is a link to the complete Brandon Rios – Mike Alvarado fight video, if you’re into that kind of thing. Watch it while it lasts, or just catch a replay on HBO.
- Oxbow Upsets Orb To Win Preakness, No Triple Crown For 2013
- Charmin “Stop Skidmarks” Billboard Won At Charlotte Motor Speedway
- Mets Resort To Groupon To Sell Tickets, Including Yankees Games
- Oklahoma State Blocks Wes Lunt Transfer Options, Lest Mike Gundy Look Bad Indirectly
- Tony Allen: Here’s Video of Him Dancing in Front of a Green Screen Taping an ESPN NBA Promo
- orly57 on Charmin "Stop Skidmarks" Billboard Won At Charlotte Motor Speedway
- orly57 on Bradley Beal Seems to Have Lost a Little Respect for Derrick Rose Because He Didn't Try and Play
- TonyToniTone Has Done It Again on Oxbow Upsets Orb To Win Preakness, No Triple Crown For 2013
- Some Random Old Dude on Oxbow Upsets Orb To Win Preakness, No Triple Crown For 2013
- A.P. on Oklahoma State Blocks Wes Lunt Transfer Options, Lest Mike Gundy Look Bad Indirectly
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.