Soccer has a term called “the dreaded vote of confidence.” It is when a club’s owner gives a public affirmation of the manager, an inevitable prelude to that manager getting fired in the immediate future. South Florida has lost 11 of its last 13 FBS games. This comment from USF AD Doug Woolard (and him feeling compelled to make it) looks ominous for Skip Holtz moving forward.
“I know Skip, his staff and the players are working diligently to get that next win, and to find sustained success,” his statement read. “Certainly, the results, in terms of wins and losses to date, are disappointing to everyone involved with our program — the coaches, the players, athletic administration and our passionate fans. Our expecations for this program are very high. I also know this team has a lot of football left to play and great opportunities in front of it. We’re only six games into a 12-game regular season.”
Holtz’ fall has been Mike Stoopsian. He upset Notre Dame in South Bend last year. He was being touted for the Arkansas job just last spring. One could excuse his team’s form being in a transition period, but USF has a senior quarterback, the most returning starters in the Big East and arguably the most talent.
[Photo via Getty]
- Champions League: Borussia Dortmund’s Chance to Turn from Hipster Darlings to European Champions
- Jeff Goodman Has Left CBS Sports for ESPN
- This Tim Duncan Divorce Story is Somewhat Bizarre
- John Tortorella On Brad Richards Situation: “Kiss my ass if you want to write something different” [Video]
- Brand Lacrosse Takes Center Stage
- ms621 on The 10 Greatest Trilogies in Movie History
- hussler2 on The 10 Greatest Trilogies in Movie History
- Jason Lisk on The 10 Greatest Trilogies in Movie History
- A.P. on Champions League: Borussia Dortmund's Chance to Turn from Hipster Darlings to European Champions
- QueeferSutherland on The 10 Greatest Trilogies in Movie History
37 Responses to “Skip Holtz Received “The Dreaded Vote of Confidence” From USF AD”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.