West Virginia (#8 last week, #5 this week) beat Texas (#11 last week, #15 this week) in Austin on Saturday night, 48-45. It was a big win, so West Fucking Virginia fans celebrated in Morgantown the only way they know how – by setting things on fire.Via The Daily Anthenaeum:
Following a West Virginia University victory against Texas Saturday, WVU students flocked to the streets of Morgantown, chanting and burning furniture in celebration.
The Morgantown Fire Department released a statement Sunday confirming 35 street fires Saturday night and into Sunday morning.
In the release, Morgantown Fire Department Captain Ken Tennant said there were 24 confirmed street fires and 11 dumpster fires throughout the city.
They also broke a light pole and tossed it in the fire. That’s the point where police decided they might want to step in.
“It was a very dangerous situation on Grant Avenue. There were several thousand people that the police were trying to control – large amounts of pepper spray deployed,” he said. “They broke the pole loose, which was about 15 or 18 feet tall. They then toppled that over into the fire, which created dangerous conditions, because that was still energized.”
The best part of all this? West Virginia’s student government recently came out as “anti-couch burning.”
Last week, the West Virginia University Student Government Association released a video entitled “WVU Student Government says,” save a couch, don’t burn one.’
Since its release, the video has received more than 87,000 views; however, University officials believe the message has been missed.
Yes. Perhaps the message was missed. Either way, it might be time to reboot the campaign. May I suggest “Only WVU can prevent sofa fires.” All I ask is that I get a free t-shirt.
Previously: Lexington, Kentucky Damage Report: One Shooting, 40 Fires and Dozens Arrested
Previously: Morgantown is Making Everyone Take Couches Off Their Porches Prior to the West Virginia-LSU Game
Previously: West Virginia Fans Poke Fun At Post-Katrina New Orleans To Prepare For LSU Game
Previously: Vancouver Riots 2011: Craziest Port-o-Potty Video You’ve Ever Seen, Flashbang Hits Man in the Groin & Pacifist Gets 1-Punched
- Everett Golson, Notre Dame QB, Reportedly Has Left the School [UPDATE]
- Gregg Popovich and His Two Word “Turnover” Interview [Video]
- Angel Pagan Hit a Walk-Off Inside-the-Park Home Run Today vs. the Rockies [Video]
- Rich Rodriguez’s 50th Birthday Featured a Mariachi Band [Video]
- The Evolution of Chris ‘Birdman’ Andersen is the Craziest Set of Photos You’ll See This Week
- beardown on Rich Rodriguez's 50th Birthday Featured a Mariachi Band [Video]
- resolutedefense on Everett Golson, Notre Dame QB, Reportedly Has Left the School [UPDATE]
- Chief on Gregg Popovich and His Two Word "Turnover" Interview [Video]
- Chief on Everett Golson, Notre Dame QB, Reportedly Has Left the School [UPDATE]
- The Wayne Fontes Safari on Everett Golson, Notre Dame QB, Reportedly Has Left the School [UPDATE]
17 Responses to “West Virginia Students Celebrated Texas Win With 35 Fires, 5 Arrests and Lots of Pepper Spray”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.