Alex Smith, before Jim Harbaugh’s arrival: Five seasons, 51 TDs, 53 INTs, never a completion rate above 60 percent, highest yards per attempt 6.9., and a hideous record of 19-31.
In 18 regular season games since Harbaugh took over:
21 TDs, 4 INTs
completion rate: 62.3
Yards per attempt: 7.1
record: 15-3 record
Before Harbaugh’s arrival: ALEX SMITH IS A BUST! Remember how, after Harbaugh passed on the Dolphins and picked the 49ers, the coach surprised many by saying the 49ers would sign Smith to a 1-year deal? And then San Francisco drafted Nevada QB Colin Kaepernick in the 2nd round? It appeared as if Smith wasn’t the long term solution.
But as the NBC crew noted Sunday night against Detroit: Smith, the No. 1 pick in 2005, is all grown up. Smith was brilliant against Green Bay in the opener, then superb again against the Lions.
This was a masterful recognition of Detroit’s defense, changing the play – Davis was going to have double coverage up top, so he sent a player in motion – and then throwing the TD pass.
Is it Jim Harbaugh’s simplified playbook? Has the improved defense had that much of an impact on his confidence? It isn’t like his offensive weapons are different – Frank Gore and Davis were there for the lean Alex Smith years.
- This Tim Duncan Divorce Story is Somewhat Bizarre
- John Tortorella On Brad Richards Situation: “Kiss my ass if you want to write something different” [Video]
- Brand Lacrosse Takes Center Stage
- Female Australian Football Fan Hurls Racial Insult in Player’s Face, Gets Ejected Immediately [Video]
- “Matrix Bird” Escapes Death By Back-Flipping to Avoid Formula One Car During Monaco Grand Prix Practice [Video]
- starkweather on This Tim Duncan Divorce Story is Somewhat Bizarre
- A.P. on This Tim Duncan Divorce Story is Somewhat Bizarre
- GloriousMullet on This Tim Duncan Divorce Story is Somewhat Bizarre
- GloriousMullet on John Tortorella On Brad Richards Situation: "Kiss my ass if you want to write something different" [Video]
- Shining Base Path on John Tortorella On Brad Richards Situation: "Kiss my ass if you want to write something different" [Video]
103 Responses to “Alex Smith Used to Be Viewed as a Bust, But Jim Harbaugh Has Changed All That”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.