Ronda Rousey will defend her championship for the first time this weekend. Her opponent, Sarah Kaufman is a former champion on a 3-fight winning streak, but everyone is ready to look past this weekend to a possible fight with former Strikeforce champion Cris “Cyborg” Santos.
Back in January, Cyborg, the Strikeforce women’s 145-pound champion was suspended for testing positive for steroids. That suspension caused me to run around like an idiot with my head cut off proclaiming women’s mixed martial arts dead. Honestly, that feels like years ago, instead of months. Somehow, the sport has survived with the emergence of Ronda Rousey as a fairly big star who hosted TMZ, posed nude for the cover of ESPN The Magazine and even won a title.
Now, with Cyborg just a few months away from being able to fight again, she is setting her sights on the current Queen of WMMA. Cyborg has called out Rousey multiple times in recent interviews, but doesn’t want to drop down to Rousey’s 135-pound weight class, offering instead to fight at a catchweight of 140.
There are a few problems with this, the most obvious being the idea of Cyborg actually making 140. Cyborg has previously had issues making the 145-pound weight class. The good news is that Rousey has previously fought at 150 pounds. Will she want to move back up to face the scariest woman on the planet (non-arm-grabbing division)?
- A.P. on Jalen Rose Leaving Numbers Never Lie, Jemele Hill in as New Co-Host
- The Wayne Fontes Safari on Jalen Rose Leaving Numbers Never Lie, Jemele Hill in as New Co-Host
- VladimirCrouton on Jalen Rose Leaving Numbers Never Lie, Jemele Hill in as New Co-Host
- beardown on Jalen Rose Leaving Numbers Never Lie, Jemele Hill in as New Co-Host
- Flaccid Indigestion on Jalen Rose Leaving Numbers Never Lie, Jemele Hill in as New Co-Host
8 Responses to “Cris “Cyborg” Santos Wants to Fight Ronda Rousey Next”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.