The season starts in less than a month! Sure, I’m nervous. The Jets smell like 7-9. Two straight years without a trip to the playoffs – after two straight AFC title games – would be crushing. I already went to camp. Now, I’ll try to watch all their preseason games. Some thoughts on the 17-6 loss to Cincinnati Friday in lovely Ohio:
* The Jets, not surprisingly, struggled to move the ball with Mark Sanchez. I’ll chalk this up to Tony Sparano not wanting to reveal anything. Or, as I’m sure Miami fans will tell me, “get used to it.” To be fair, the Jets played without two of their top three receivers (Holmes and Kerley).
* Unofficially, the last time the Jets completed a long pass – not a catch-and-run – was in January 2011 against Pittsburgh in the AFC title game (Sanchez to Holmes for a TD).
* Tim Tebow stared down backup tight end Jeff Cumberland – earlier, he nearly got Sanchez killed doing a terrible job picking up the blitz – and was picked off by Vontaze Burfict. Tebow’s the backup. There’s no controversy here.
* Rookie DL Quinton Coples had a solid effort and was very active. I’d like to see him play more with the first team defense. You put him next to Wilkerson, and you might have something.
* Demario Davis, the rookie linebacker, looked very good on special teams. So there’s that.
* Bart Scott apparently got lighter and faster in the offseason … but he was torched badly out of the backfield by the Law Firm. Scott’s had a nice career, but he can’t be on the field on passing downs.
* Isaiah Trufant, a 2nd year backup cornerback, got beat a few times, including once on a deep bomb to Cincinnati rookie Marvin Jones.
* Wayne Hunter didnt play (injured) but if he did, it would have been a disaster.
- Canadian Singer Butchers Star-Spangled Banner at Junior Hockey Championships [Video]
- Lucas Matthysse Knocked Out Lamont Peterson Saturday Night [GIF]
- Report: Seton Hall Softball Coach Accused of Bullying Players, Flouting NCAA Rules
- Premier League Finale: Arsenal and Tottenham Battle For The Champions League
- Roy Hibbert Blocked Carmelo Anthony And It Was Epic [GIF]
- Dougb0001 on Premier League Finale: Arsenal and Tottenham Battle For The Champions League
- jbriaz on Lucas Matthysse Knocked Out Lamont Peterson Saturday Night [GIF]
- Mr.Heaven on Premier League Finale: Arsenal and Tottenham Battle For The Champions League
- Nada on Premier League Finale: Arsenal and Tottenham Battle For The Champions League
- Nada on Roy Hibbert Blocked Carmelo Anthony And It Was Epic [GIF]
2 Responses to “Pithy New York Jets Observations One Game into the 2012 Preseason”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.