Preseason Football: It’s Tim Tebow Time (Which in This Case, Means Backup Quarterbacks Get Their Reps)
Tonight’s preseason schedule features six more games. Tim Tebow should get a fair amount of action as the second string quarterback as the Jets face the Cincinnati Bengals. I wouldn’t expect the Jets to show anything about his usage in different packages but rather in the base offense working with the backups.
Here is the rest of your Friday night preseason schedule:
Cleveland at Detroit (7:30): Trent Richardson will not play in the preseason, but Brandon Weeden should make his debut and play a few series, after being named the starter earlier in the week.
New York Giants at Jacksonville (7:30): Oh, yeah, the defending Super Bowl champions start as well. Blaine Gabbert needs to start playing well in year two, and while most starters get out early, I wouldn’t be surprised if he got more work.
Tampa Bay at Miami (7:30): Two new head coaches make their first coaching starts in Greg Schiano at Tampa Bay and Joe Philbin in Miami. Expect Ryan Tannehill to get a chance to show what he can do, especially with veteran David Garrard needing knee surgery and now missing most of the preseason, so as to allow the team to begin to decide whether he can start the opener. I often like to look at hyped rookie running backs like Doug Martin. If he gets few carries, I actually consider that a good sign that the team wants to save him for the season and not put a lot on tape.
Arizona at Kansas City (8:00): Player to watch–second year wide receiver Jonathan Baldwin has been impressing early, and I’m sure those stories had nothing to do with leverage against Dwayne Bowe. Incidentally, local news station KMBC has said Bowe has signed a contract, and multiple reports have him arriving in Kansas City this evening. He obviously won’t play even if true, but we’ll see if Baldwin shows it in a game setting.
Minnesota at San Francisco (9:00): Minnesota has some young players in their secondary, an area that needs major work from last year. Will we see Randy? I’m more interested in the running back rotation. I thought Kendall Hunter was a possible emerging player this year, but the additions of Brandon Jacobs and LaMichael James creates a murky rotation.
[photo via US Presswire]
- LeBron James’ Game-Winning Lay Up at the Buzzer in Overtime While Roy Hibbert Sat on the Bench [Video]
- Paul George Hit a Ridiculous 3 to Send it Into Overtime After Throwing the Ball Away Moments Earlier [Video]
- Paul George Wore Aqua Pants and a Green, Amoeba-Pattered Dress Shirt to Game 1 in Miami
- Shane Battier Kneed Roy Hibbert in the Balls [Video]
- Chuck Norris Wants a NFL Team to Sign Tim Tebow Because He is a Winner Like Chuck Norris
- Quietgoesthedon on LeBron James' Game-Winning Lay Up at the Buzzer in Overtime While Roy Hibbert Sat on the Bench [Video]
- knifeyspoony on Paul George Wore Aqua Pants and a Green, Amoeba-Pattered Dress Shirt to Game 1 in Miami
- wildcat1144 on LeBron James' Game-Winning Lay Up at the Buzzer in Overtime While Roy Hibbert Sat on the Bench [Video]
- resolutedefense on Paul George Wore Aqua Pants and a Green, Amoeba-Pattered Dress Shirt to Game 1 in Miami
151 Responses to “Preseason Football: It’s Tim Tebow Time (Which in This Case, Means Backup Quarterbacks Get Their Reps)”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.