Twitter has suspended the account of British journalist Guy Adams (@guyadams), in the wake of his fierce criticism of NBC’s Olympic Coverage. Adams, the Los Angeles correspondent for Britain’s “The Independent,” had a scathing stream of tweets about the network’s coverage, pointing out factual errors and asking if car advertising was an Olympic sport. It appears, however, to have been revealing the email address of NBC Universal’s “President, NBC Olympics” Gary Zenkel that earned his account suspension.
It is not clear what rule Adams violated. Twitter has a policy against the release of someone’s “private and confidential information,” but an email address does not seem to be on the same plane as a credit card number, a social security number or a street address. Twitter has a partnership with NBC Sports to promote the games, which likely explains the broad interpretation of the rule. It might also explain how “#NBC” was a twitter trend but “#NBCfail” was not.
Adams is purportedly publishing a piece in response to the banning. This is more horrendous PR for NBC and it’s only the fourth day.
UPDATE: Statement from NBC via Richard Deitsch
UPDATE II: Statement from Guy Adams’ email in the Independent.
“I’m of course happy to abide by Twitter’s rules, now and forever,” it reads. “But I don’t see how I broke them in this case: I didn’t publish a private email address. Just a corporate one, which is widely available to anyone with access to Google, and is identical [in form] to one that all of the tens of thousands of NBC Universal employees share. It’s no more “private” than the address I’m emailing you from right now. Either way, [it's] quite worrying that NBC, whose parent company are an Olympic sponsor, are apparently trying (and, in this case, succeeding) in shutting down the Twitter accounts of journalists who are critical of their Olympic coverage.”
Previously: NBC Execs Think You Should Stop Whining About Tape Delay, and Live Stream Issues Are Your Fault
Previously: NBC Claims Opening Ceremony Was Too “Complex” to Stream Live
Previously: NBC Ditched Opening Ceremony Terrorist Victim Tribute For Phelps Interview
- Mike Miller Hit a Huge 3-Pointer While Wearing Just One Shoe [Video]
- Jozy Altidore Scored Fourth Goal in Four Matches, Gave U.S. 1-0 Lead Against Honduras [Video]
- Tim Duncan Scores 25 in the First Half Against the Heat, Miami in Trouble
- Attractive Female Heat Fan Groped and Nearly Exposed Behind Bill Simmons During NBA Finals Halftime Show
- Dwyane Wade Again Fools Gary Neal With a Euro Step [Video]
- A.P. on Jeff Baker Suffers Thumb Injury Giving Teammate a High-Five, Goes on the Disabled List
- MP III on Kawhi Leondard Slapped Mike Miller in the Face as He Dunked on Him in Game 6 [Video]
- Some Random Old Dude on Kawhi Leondard Slapped Mike Miller in the Face as He Dunked on Him in Game 6 [Video]
- A.P. on Kawhi Leondard Slapped Mike Miller in the Face as He Dunked on Him in Game 6 [Video]
- Dawgfather on Jeff Baker Suffers Thumb Injury Giving Teammate a High-Five, Goes on the Disabled List
90 Responses to “NBC Olympic Coverage Critic Guy Adams Had Twitter Account Suspended [UPDATE]”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.