NBC tape-delayed a live showing of the 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony, which allowed them to selectively edit the program. One of the edits was a tribute to 52 victims of terrorist bombings in July 2005. NBC dumped it in favor of a Ryan Seacrest interview with Michael Phelps.
So when it came time in the opening for something that has been widely interpreted as a tribute to the 52 victims of terrorist attacks in London in 2005, it’s not shocking NBC didn’t see lingering on that as helping the overall marketing effort. When asked why NBC didn’t show the memorial, NBC spokesman Greg Hughes Saturday said only that “our programming is tailored for the U.S. audience. It’s a tribute to (opening ceremony producer) Danny Boyle that it required so little editing.”
When you can cut out a memorial to hear Michael Phelps speak you just have to do it. Tailoring for the U.S. audience is fine. Presuming said U.S. audience is stupid is another matter. (Matt, make sure you talk over the entire opening ceremony and use small words, otherwise people won’t understand what is going on.)
Incidentally, I was studying abroad in London when those terrorist attacks happened. Our dorm was directly between Kings Cross and Tavistock Square (about a block and a half either direction). Left gym at exact spot bus blew up 10 minutes before. Went back to take a shower. Walked into pandemonium and police barricades as I was trying to go to class. Just remember being trapped and frantically trying to get a cell phone call through jammed lines, because it was 2005 and I did not think my parents would check their email.
[Photo via Getty]
- Buffalo Bills Fan Has O.J. Simpson Mug Shot Tattoo on His Thigh
- Fox Sports 1 Heavily in Pursuit of Former NFL Player Trevor Pryce and ESPN Chicago’s Sarah Spain
- Premier League: What Each Club Should Prioritize in the Summer
- Footage of Kelly Tripucka Unveiling the Original Teal Charlotte Hornets’ Uniforms in 1988 is Breathtaking [Video]
- NFL Coaches Using Microsoft Tablets on the Sidelines in the Future Should Lead to Advances in Clock Management and Strategy
- Jason McIntyre on Fox Sports 1 Heavily in Pursuit of Former NFL Player Trevor Pryce and ESPN Chicago's Sarah Spain
- oranjebleeder on Premier League: What Each Club Should Prioritize in the Summer
- ButtersBC on Buffalo Bills Fan Has O.J. Simpson Mug Shot Tattoo on His Thigh
- angry on Fox Sports 1 Heavily in Pursuit of Former NFL Player Trevor Pryce and ESPN Chicago's Sarah Spain
- Monster is Meth on Fox Sports 1 Heavily in Pursuit of Former NFL Player Trevor Pryce and ESPN Chicago's Sarah Spain
2 Responses to “London 2012: NBC Ditched Opening Ceremony Terrorist Victim Tribute For Phelps Interview”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.