Robinson Cano was the defending Home Run Derby champion, but this time around, he had a big goose egg in the first round. He did so to loud boos every time he stood in to bat, and rousing cheers every time a ball fell short of the fence (except for the Yankees fan begging for just one home run in the video). You might be tempted to think that it was just because Royals fans hate the Yankees. It was actually because the fans wanted Cano, who was the AL team captain, to select Royals representative Billy Butler, after Cano had suggested he might pick a Royal a couple of weeks ago. Instead, he selected Prince Fielder, Jose Bautista, and Mark Trumbo.
Cano was booed earlier tonight during introductions, and a plane flew overhead with a sign saying that “You Blew It, Cano.”
I have no problem with booing a Yankees player. However, this was kind of ridiculous. Billy Butler is having a career power year, as his previous high is 21 home runs in a season. He’s already at 16, and could actually break the franchise season home run record with a great second half (36, Steve Balboni). Jose Bautista leads the league again with 27 home runs at the break. Mark Trumbo has 22. Only Prince Fielder has fewer than Butler of the competitors, and he is one below. Oh, and he has won a Home Run Derby and has hit more home runs than the Royals franchise record in three different seasons.
- Adam Scott and Other Golfers are Retaining Counsel in Response to the USGA Anchor Putter Ban
- The Combination of Two Teams From Same Country Hasn’t Produced the Best Champions League Finals [Video Rewind]
- Will Smith & DJ Jazzy Jeff Sang the Fresh Prince Song and Alfonso Ribeiro Danced on the Graham Norton Show
- Robbie Rogers Becomes 1st Openly Gay Player in MLS, How Will Media React?
- Umpires Screw Up Another Call on This Texas Rangers ‘Double Play’ [GIF]
- resolutedefense on Adam Scott and Other Golfers are Retaining Counsel in Response to the USGA Anchor Putter Ban
- Shining Base Path on Robbie Rogers Becomes 1st Openly Gay Player in MLS, How Will Media React?
- Monster is Meth on Michael Jordan Turned the Ball Over Twice in a Row in a Crucial Playoff Game Loss - Just Like LeBron James! [Video]
- A.P. on Robbie Rogers Becomes 1st Openly Gay Player in MLS, How Will Media React?
- got_em_looking on Robbie Rogers Becomes 1st Openly Gay Player in MLS, How Will Media React?
15 Responses to “Robinson Cano Was Repeatedly Booed By the Kansas City Crowd as He Went 0-Fer the Home Run Derby”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.