Marvin Williams, the 2nd pick in the 2005 NBA draft, has been traded to the Utah Jazz for point guard Devin Harris, according to ESPN’s Marc Stein.
In the span of a few hours, new Hawks GM Danny Ferry – remember, he’s only been on the job a week – has amazingly shed Joe Johnson’s albatross of a contract, and shipped the underperforming Williams out of town. Clearly, Atlanta is cleaning house with an eye on the 2013 NBA free agent class and, presumably, Dwight Howard.
Howard, who is from the Atlanta area, could come to the Hawks in 2013 and team with Al Horford up front. They’ll need a point guard – Chris Paul hasn’t inked an extension with the Clippers, yet – and some shooters, but the Hawks appear to be in business. (Incidentally, Chris Paul was the 4th pick in the 2005 draft; the top five picks from that year have all now been on multiple teams.)
That said, it’s easy to tear down a team and gut the roster. Rebuilding a franchise? Much more of a challenge. For instance … what if Ferry can’t sign Dwight Howard? Then what? James Harden? Andre Iguodala? Andrew Bynum?
Utah’s move, on the heels of the recent addition of Mo Williams, puts the Jazz in position to return to the postseason in 2013 (even though I predicted in my 2013 NBA Mock draft they’d miss the playoffs). They could start Williams at SF, move Gordon Hayward to SG, and start the frontline of Millsapp and Jefferson, or perhaps Jefferson and Favors, or even Jefferson and Kanter. They’ve got options in the frontcourt. If last year’s top pick, Alec Burks, emerges at a shooter, they’ve got some depth in that department (they were the worst 3-point shooting team in the league last year).
Looks like I’ll have to re-w0rk that Mock Draft at month’s end.
- Chris Bosh Blocked Two Shots in the Final Moments to Help Miami Force Game 7 [Video]
- Ray Allen Forced Overtime By Hitting the 3-Pointer the Miami Heat Signed Him to Hit [Video]
- Mike Miller Hit a Huge 3-Pointer While Wearing Just One Shoe [Video]
- Jozy Altidore Scored Fourth Goal in Four Matches, Gave U.S. 1-0 Lead Against Honduras [Video]
- Tim Duncan Scores 25 in the First Half Against the Heat, Miami in Trouble
- Liquor on Chris Bosh Blocked Two Shots in the Final Moments to Help Miami Force Game 7 [Video]
- orly57 on Chris Bosh Blocked Two Shots in the Final Moments to Help Miami Force Game 7 [Video]
- Some Random Old Dude on Kawhi Leondard Slapped Mike Miller in the Face as He Dunked on Him in Game 6 [Video]
- vajayjay redick on Kawhi Leondard Slapped Mike Miller in the Face as He Dunked on Him in Game 6 [Video]
- resolutedefense on Kawhi Leondard Slapped Mike Miller in the Face as He Dunked on Him in Game 6 [Video]
34 Responses to “Marvin Williams Traded to Utah for Devin Harris as Hawks Clean House for Dwight Howard”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.