Dwight Howard, embarrassed with ESPN’s “blackmail” report this weekend, phoned Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports to tell his side of the story: ESPN’s report was “defamatory” and oh yeah, I still will only sign an extension with one team (Brookyln).
So Houston – which has been wheeling and dealing in an effort to make a splashy trade for Howard – you can quit wasting your time. Unless, of course, the Rockets are so confident that they can convince Howard to stay, they’re willing to take the chance, anyway.
Houston could look at it this way: Howard has an insatiable desire to be liked (or, LeBron’s “The Decision” has players terrified of a similar fan backlash). That’s why he inked the 1-year extension in Orlando. How will it look for Howard to get traded to Houston, be fawned over by the passionate fanbase, maybe even get the Rockets out of the first round – with a lineup of Dragic, Lamb, Parsons, Scola & Howard; plus Omer Asik (maybe), Courtney Lee, Marcus Morris and Patrick Patterson coming off the bench, they’ll probably be around the 4th or 5th seed* – and still want to bolt?
Howard continues to make mind-bogglingly bad decisions. Who is advising him, Wile E. Coyote? Howard should never have inked the extra year with the Magic. Anytime he tells them he’s unhappy with a decision and that he wants out, the front office will run to the media with it to make Howard look bad in hopes of him going soft again and staying in Orlando. If he concedes and stays, he’ll be stuck with a loser for the next few years.
Far be it from me to tell someone where to live and continue their NBA career, but what’s wrong with Houston? Don’t worry about pressure from the media – they’re much less angry than the Orlando writers, and the Texans are a Super Bowl contender, so in December/January, you won’t be the biggest story in town on a nightly basis.
Sure, you’ve gotta deal with Kobe for a couple more years in the West, and an ever-improving Clippers’, and perhaps Minnesota in a couple years, and the budding dynasty in Oklahoma City (length of said dynasty is TBA: Depends what happens with Harden and Ibaka). But at least you’re not going to be stifled by LeBron every year.
Previously: Dwight Howard Wants Trade to Brooklyn Again, Thinks Magic “Blackmailed” Him
Previously: Will Dwight Howard Get Traded to the Brooklyn Nets Before Thursday’s NBA Draft?
Previously: Dwight Howard’s Summer of Fun is Rapidly Approaching
* The package I’m assuming Houston sends Orlando would include Kyle Lowry, Kevin Martin, Marcus Morris and Terrence Jones and a pick.
- LeBron James’ Game-Winning Lay Up at the Buzzer in Overtime While Roy Hibbert Sat on the Bench [Video]
- Paul George Hit a Ridiculous 3 to Send it Into Overtime After Throwing the Ball Away Moments Earlier [Video]
- Paul George Wore Aqua Pants and a Green, Amoeba-Pattered Dress Shirt to Game 1 in Miami
- Shane Battier Kneed Roy Hibbert in the Balls [Video]
- Chuck Norris Wants a NFL Team to Sign Tim Tebow Because He is a Winner Like Chuck Norris
- knifeyspoony on Paul George Wore Aqua Pants and a Green, Amoeba-Pattered Dress Shirt to Game 1 in Miami
- wildcat1144 on LeBron James' Game-Winning Lay Up at the Buzzer in Overtime While Roy Hibbert Sat on the Bench [Video]
- resolutedefense on Paul George Wore Aqua Pants and a Green, Amoeba-Pattered Dress Shirt to Game 1 in Miami
- A.P. on Paul George Wore Aqua Pants and a Green, Amoeba-Pattered Dress Shirt to Game 1 in Miami
28 Responses to “Dwight Howard: Dumb Trade Demands, Surly Flip-Flopping … a Dwightmare, Indeed”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.