Spain have won Euro 2012 after crushing Italy 4-0, becoming the first nation to win three straight major tournaments. This team is arguably the greatest international side of all-time, and certainly the most accomplished. In 10-straight knockout matches through all three tournaments, Spain did not allow a goal.
This was a weird match. Spain raised their tempo, which worked to their advantage against an older, not quite fit Italy team playing for the third time in eight days. Despite holding more possession in the first half, Italy was very lethargic on transitions, which cost them on the Alba goal. Injuries did them in, especially Thiago Motta’s which dropped them down to 10 men.
Spain were ruthless and dominating. Were they boring? In this match, no, but boatracing a dead-legged Italy team that had fallen to 10 men hardly absolves them for the Portugal and Spain matches. It wasn’t so much that they weren’t expansive for most of the tournament. It’s that they had the talent to do so and opted against it. The end justified the means, however unromantic.
Considering the amount of miles these players put on their legs, at club and international level the past four seasons. Their success, both the peak and the consistency, has been amazing.
Fernando Torres is now a European champion at club and international level and won the golden boot. Dream season.
[Photo via Getty, Screen Grabs via Shamburger]
- Robinson Cano Surprised a Sick Fan at the MLB Fancave and They Played Wiffle Ball & Ate Ice Cream [Video]
- Bob Uecker Took a Picture with WWE’s Bella Twins at a Cardinals Game
- Mario Balotelli Owns a Pet Pig, Because of Course He Does
- Keenan Allen, 3rd Round Draft Pick of San Diego, Wore a Raiders Hat in Public. Chargers Fans Are Pissed
- Does Shawn Marion Drive a Funny-Looking Smart Car That Might Be a Souped Up Golf Cart?
- Nada on Keenan Allen, 3rd Round Draft Pick of San Diego, Wore a Raiders Hat in Public. Chargers Fans Are Pissed
- Jim Harbaugh Scramble on Bob Uecker Took a Picture with WWE's Bella Twins at a Cardinals Game
- Nada on Mario Balotelli Owns a Pet Pig, Because of Course He Does
- vermincain on Mario Balotelli Owns a Pet Pig, Because of Course He Does
- squawkbox on Bob Uecker Took a Picture with WWE's Bella Twins at a Cardinals Game
8 Responses to “Euro 2012: Spain Are Champions After 4-0 Win Over Italy”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.