College football: where erratic mediocrity is lucrative. Clemson coach Dabo Swinney, a bad start away from renewed questioning of his tenure, has just been awarded a three-year contract extension.
Swinney did lead Clemson’s first ACC title since 1991 last season. He also led the Tigers into a slaughterhouse against Big East champ West Virginia in the Orange Bowl and nearly lost to Maryland. That’s not counting the three consecutive losses to South Carolina (first time in 40 years) by an average margin of 20 points.
The ACC title is a talking point. It’s also the least one should expect in a weak ACC, while paying your coordinators more than any school in the country. It’s not clear quite what Swinney adds, beyond energy and immaculate fashion sense. Should things turn sour next season (it could easily with heavy turnover along both lines), it just became much more expensive to get rid of him.
[Photo via Getty]
- Oxbow Upsets Orb To Win Preakness, No Triple Crown For 2013
- Charmin “Stop Skidmarks” Billboard Won At Charlotte Motor Speedway
- Mets Resort To Groupon To Sell Tickets, Including Yankees Games
- Oklahoma State Blocks Wes Lunt Transfer Options, Lest Mike Gundy Look Bad Indirectly
- Tony Allen: Here’s Video of Him Dancing in Front of a Green Screen Taping an ESPN NBA Promo
- A.P. on Oklahoma State Blocks Wes Lunt Transfer Options, Lest Mike Gundy Look Bad Indirectly
- A.P. on Jaguars Cheerleader Swimsuit Video is Something to Root For [Video]
- beardown on Oxbow Upsets Orb To Win Preakness, No Triple Crown For 2013
- Caribou on Jaguars Cheerleader Swimsuit Video is Something to Root For [Video]
- Black on Baby Goat Playing and Jumping on a Sleepy Pig Should Highlight Your Weekend [Video]
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.