Jim Leyland got pissed off again Monday following another blown call by an umpire. A terrible second inning gaffe by ump Bill Welke opened the floodgates to a 3-run inning and the Red Sox beat the Tigers, 7-4. Afterward, Leyland blasted the boneheaded mistake:
“It’s that simple, isn’t it? I mean you guys need to write something and hold people accountable. You know what, we’re all accountable in this business, and when I say, ‘all of us,’ I mean everyone who’s involved in the game needs to be held accountable.
“There should not have been a rally in that inning. Have the nerve to write what you saw and say it — because I’m not going to sit here and rip the umpires. Write it and say something once in a while. Have the nerve to say something. Next question.”
Video of the entire rant is below. Afterward, umpires told the media that replays showed Welke in fact missed the call.
Reminder: Leyland, the chain-smoking fossil, hates the idea of instant replay in baseball. Just one month ago, following a blown call that cost Detroit the game, a calm Leyland said, “That’s part of the game. Sometimes you get a call like that, and sometimes you don’t.”
Wonder what changed in a month? Could it be that the Tigers are still hovering around .500 in third place in the Central?
For the last three years in college football, some fans said the “best” reason to not have a college football playoff was because it simply wasn’t feasible for a number of (pathetically weak) reasons. Well, now it’s happening.
For the last few years in baseball, some fans say the that instant replay in baseball isn’t feasible for a number of (pathetically weak) reasons. Come on, Selig, it isn’t that difficult.
- John Tortorella And a Ref Dropped F-Bombs On Live TV During the Rangers-Bruins Game [Video]
- LeBron James and Paul George’s Epic Game 1 Battle Looks Even Cooler in Slow Motion [Video]
- Manchester City Players Were Super Excited To Catch Passes From Eli Manning [Video]
- Miami Heat Remix of Pitbull’s “Feel This Moment?” Dále!
- Buffalo Bills Fan Has O.J. Simpson Mug Shot Tattoo on His Thigh
- yorwifesahor on Buffalo Bills Fan Has O.J. Simpson Mug Shot Tattoo on His Thigh
- Nada on Fox Sports 1 Heavily in Pursuit of Former NFL Player Trevor Pryce and ESPN Chicago's Sarah Spain
- A.P. on Buffalo Bills Fan Has O.J. Simpson Mug Shot Tattoo on His Thigh
- A.P. on Fox Sports 1 Heavily in Pursuit of Former NFL Player Trevor Pryce and ESPN Chicago's Sarah Spain
36 Responses to “Jim Leyland, the Human Error and Instant Replay in Baseball”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.