The five teams with the highest payrolls in baseball – the Yankees, Phillies, Red Sox, Angels and Tigers – are all hovering around .500. We’re about 40 games into the 162-game marathon, and if this were the NFL season, we’d be just starting the first quarter of the 4th week.
Yankees: 21-20 [$197 million payroll]
Phillies: 21-21 [$174 million]
Red Sox: 20-21 [$173 million]
Angels: 18-24 [$154 million]
Tigers: 20-21 [$132 million
If the MLB season ended today - thank goodness it doesn't - your MLB division winners in the AL: Orioles, Indians, Rangers. And in the NL: Braves, Cardinals, Dodgers.
[Note: Not surprisingly, the five teams with the lowest payroll in baseball - Padres, A's, Astros, Royals and Pirates are all .500 or below. The Rays are 25th in payroll, just missing the cut. They'd be a Wild Card team if the season ended today.]
It’s May. Let’s revisit this at the All-Star break. But for fun, we’ll include the Vegas over/under win totals. The Yankees, Phillies, Red Sox and Angels were all projected to win 90+ games. That’s still possible, and those four going 75-45 (ish) over the last 120 (ish) games is not out of the realm of possibility.
- Everett Golson, Notre Dame QB, Reportedly Has Left the School [UPDATE]
- Gregg Popovich and His Two Word “Turnover” Interview [Video]
- Angel Pagan Hit a Walk-Off Inside-the-Park Home Run Today vs. the Rockies [Video]
- Rich Rodriguez’s 50th Birthday Featured a Mariachi Band [Video]
- The Evolution of Chris ‘Birdman’ Andersen is the Craziest Set of Photos You’ll See This Week
- beardown on Rich Rodriguez's 50th Birthday Featured a Mariachi Band [Video]
- resolutedefense on Everett Golson, Notre Dame QB, Reportedly Has Left the School [UPDATE]
- Chief on Gregg Popovich and His Two Word "Turnover" Interview [Video]
- Chief on Everett Golson, Notre Dame QB, Reportedly Has Left the School [UPDATE]
- The Wayne Fontes Safari on Everett Golson, Notre Dame QB, Reportedly Has Left the School [UPDATE]
40 Responses to “Baseball’s Teams with the Largest Payrolls Are Struggling, But It’s Early”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.