Matt Kuchar had a spectacular four days, tied for the lead after round two, one stroke back entering today, and put up another good round on Sunday. As Kevin Na faltered with the final day lead, shooting a 76, Kuchar concluded his fourth day of a score between 68 and 70. Martin Laird, Ben Curtis, Zach Johnson and Luke Donald all tried to make charges on Sunday. Rickie Fowler had chances, but could not gain ground on Kuchar.
Kuchar looked to have it comfortably in hand on the back side after taking a three stroke lead, but after getting on the green at #17, he three-putted to bogey. The drama lasted a few moments, and when Fowler missed a potential birdie put on 18, Kuchar just needed to avoid a double bogey to win. He got his par (after much delay thanks to Na, again, allowing Kuchar to discuss the NBA playoffs with his caddy) and the best tournament win of his career.
Tiger Woods, meanwhile, concluded with a 73 to finish in a tie for 40th. For the third tournament in a row, Woods hasn’t even been in contention. Phil Mickelson also shot a 73 on Sunday, to finish in a tie for 25th.
[photo via US Presswire]
- Brand Lacrosse Takes Center Stage
- Female Rugby Fan Hurls Racial Insult in Player’s Face, Gets Ejected Immediately [Video]
- “Matrix Bird” Escapes Death By Back-Flipping to Avoid Formula One Car During Monaco Grand Prix Practice [Video]
- Austrian Soccer Team Celebrates Championship By Throwing Sky Sports Reporter in the Hot Tub [Video]
- The 10 Greatest Trilogies in Movie History
- ms621 on The 10 Greatest Trilogies in Movie History
- RexKramerDangerSeeker on The 10 Greatest Trilogies in Movie History
- oskie on The 10 Greatest Trilogies in Movie History
- Trey on Female Rugby Fan Hurls Racial Insult in Player's Face, Gets Ejected Immediately [Video]
- Mantis Toboggan on The 10 Greatest Trilogies in Movie History
8 Responses to “Matt Kuchar Wins the Players Championship”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.