Two Notre Dame football players – QB Tommy Rees and linebacker Carlo Calabrese – were arrested early Thursday morning following an incident with police in South Bend. Police say Rees – who started 12 games at QB last year and is competing for the starting job – was arrested for “public intoxication, resisting law enforcement, minor consumption and battery to law enforcement – a felony charge.” Yikes. Police had to pepper-spray him to subdue him. Calabrese was arrested for disorderly conduct.
[UPDATE: According to WSBT, Rees kneed an officer in the stomach trying to get away.]
[UPDATE: From the Chicago Tribune: Officers found a "madhouse of people" drinking and congregating outside a home, enjoying the warm night, he said. "It was a nice night, they were drinking, they're having a loud time, which is the reason we're there."
As officers approached, five or six people hopped a fence and led police on a chase, Trent said. The officers caught up with the group and used their hands to corral them, but Rees "actively resisted," Trent said.
"It wasn't terribly violent, but it was enough to be considered resisting," he said.
One officer suffered a minor scrap and "had the wind knocked out of him" while trying to stop the group, Trent said.]
Gotta figure the three other QBs competing with Rees are somewhat thrilled this morning. Rees essentially took himself out of the QB race with this arrest. That should leave Andrew Hendrix, sophomore Everett Golson and freshman Gunner Kiel to battle for the job. Although I thought Hendrix should have gotten the job last year, I’d go with Golson this year.
Talk about a rough offseason for the Irish – their best defensive player transfers, and now their QB gets arrested. Just remember, this is Brian Kelly’s third year in South Bend, and recent history suggests it won’t be a pretty one.
Previously: Aaron Lynch, Notre Dame’s Best Defensive Player, is Transferring
Previously: There’s No Way Brian Kelly Avoids the 3rd Year Jinx at Notre Dame
Previously: Notre Dame QB Tommy Rees’ Sister Was Arrested After Allegedly Starting A Fight At the ND – Purdue Game
- Umpires Screw Up Another Call on This Texas Rangers ‘Double Play’ [GIF]
- Tennnesse High School Soccer Team Wins State Title on 54-Yard Free Kick in Overtime [Video]
- Michael Jordan Turned the Ball Over Twice in a Row in a Crucial Playoff Game Loss – Just Like LeBron James! [Video]
- Tony Parker Denied Service at Memphis Restaurant (It Was Too Busy)
- LeBron James and Paul George Slapped Hands After Exchanging Spectacular Baskets to End the 3rd Quarter [Video]
- Shining Base Path on Umpires Screw Up Another Call on This Texas Rangers 'Double Play' [GIF]
- oskie on LeBron James and Paul George Slapped Hands After Exchanging Spectacular Baskets to End the 3rd Quarter [Video]
- jdeeser5 on Tennnesse High School Soccer Team Wins State Title on 54-Yard Free Kick in Overtime [Video]
- Liquor on Michael Jordan Turned the Ball Over Twice in a Row in a Crucial Playoff Game Loss - Just Like LeBron James! [Video]
- jdeeser5 on Michael Jordan Turned the Ball Over Twice in a Row in a Crucial Playoff Game Loss - Just Like LeBron James! [Video]
38 Responses to “Tommy Rees, Notre Dame QB, Arrested After Skirmish with Police Officers [UPDATE]”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.