Seattle GM John Schneider was on Sports Radio KJR in Seattle today talking about the NFL Draft. Seattle made a pick that many thought was a bit of a reach in the first round of the draft by taking Bruce Irvin, defensive end out of West Virginia. According to Schneider, the top three defensive players on their draft board was safety Mark Barron (7th overall to Tampa Bay), Luke Kuechly (9th to Carolina) and Bruce Irvin.
He initially also he couldn’t tell you who they would have taken if all three of those guys were gone, then mentioned Melvin Ingram, Shea McClellin and Chandler Jones as guys they would have considered.
“If we hadn’t come out of this draft with Bruce Irvin or Russell Wilson” it would have been a disappointment for Schneider and Seattle.
Is this how NFL teams prepare for the draft? I know part of it is trying to project realistically who might be available when you pick at certain spots, but I would think the draft board would have the best players ranked. You never know when a David DeCastro is going to fall to #24 when the talk was much earlier. You have to know where he fits on your board.
I know there is criticism of the Bruce Irvin pick because he initially does not project as an every down defensive end and will be a third down specialist. I don’t know how he will turn out. I am suspicious when someone says he is the third best player on the draft board, but then trades down. If you think the third best defender is there when you pick at #12, and you really are not sure who you would want if he is taken, and say it would have been very disappointing if you didn’t get him, don’t you lock him up if he really is so high on your board?
It sounds like Seattle is definitely a team that shapes their draft board strongly according to need.
[photo via US Presswire]
- Chris Bosh Blocked Two Shots in the Final Moments to Help Miami Force Game 7 [Video]
- Ray Allen Forced Overtime By Hitting the 3-Pointer the Miami Heat Signed Him to Hit [Video]
- Mike Miller Hit a Huge 3-Pointer While Wearing Just One Shoe [Video]
- Jozy Altidore Scored Fourth Goal in Four Matches, Gave U.S. 1-0 Lead Against Honduras [Video]
- Tim Duncan Scores 25 in the First Half Against the Heat, Miami in Trouble
- Liquor on Chris Bosh Blocked Two Shots in the Final Moments to Help Miami Force Game 7 [Video]
- orly57 on Chris Bosh Blocked Two Shots in the Final Moments to Help Miami Force Game 7 [Video]
- Some Random Old Dude on Kawhi Leondard Slapped Mike Miller in the Face as He Dunked on Him in Game 6 [Video]
- vajayjay redick on Kawhi Leondard Slapped Mike Miller in the Face as He Dunked on Him in Game 6 [Video]
- resolutedefense on Kawhi Leondard Slapped Mike Miller in the Face as He Dunked on Him in Game 6 [Video]
27 Responses to “The Top of Seattle’s Draft Board Was Mark Barron, Luke Kuechly, and Bruce Irvin”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.