NFL Draft: Miami Owner Stephen Ross Wants Ryan Tannehill, But Will He Give the Ultimatum to Take Him?
Last night, Pro Football Talk reported that Miami owner Stephen Ross is the person pushing hardest in the organization for Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill. Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald cited a “very, very, very highly placed source” (Ireland?) who said that Ross that the report was not true. Then Peter King’s MMQB touched on the issue, and said that he heard the same thing: Ross wants the Dolphins to pick Tannehill.
Just as interesting, King says that while new offensive coordinator Mike Sherman likes Tannehill, he “isn’t standing on the table for him.” The Dolphins have coaches who tutored two of the available quarterbacks this offseason. Head coach Joe Philbin worked with Matt Flynn. He likewise didn’t stand on the table for his former player, and Flynn ended up signing with Seattle when many thought that he could re-unite in Miami after Manning said no.
The owner probably shouldn’t be dictating who the team takes, especially if it is Stephen Ross. However, if he wants the player, he should get him. If he really wants him but they do not draft Tannehill, this feels like a scapegoat situation. If it gets out that the owner wants Tannehill, and they don’t take him, Ross can point the finger later.
Here’s my take on the Tannehill situation. I don’t see him going top six. I think there are clear star players at other positions after the two top quarterbacks are taken, and those teams aren’t going to take the risk and no one is trading up to get Tannehill before 6. Jacksonville isn’t taking him, but will hope to entice a trade in front of Miami. Miami might take him, but we thought that was a no-brainer several years ago with Brady Quinn, and it didn’t happen. If Miami passes, all bets are off. Everyone seems to think that Seattle is definitely taking him at 12, but they did just sign Flynn. I think it’s more likely than not that he goes at 8, but I could see scenarios where he drops into the late teens before someone trades in front of the Browns’ second pick at 22.
[photo via US Presswire]
- Cute Dog Goes on Canadian Morning Show to Pick Senators – Peguins Winner, Instead Chooses Bacon
- TV Ratings For the NBA Playoff Series Between Memphis & San Antonio Are Predictably Putrid
- Amazing GIF of Tony Allen’s Acting Job vs Spurs Includes Appearances By Steven Spielberg, Brendan Fraser
- Mario Gjurovski Celebrates Goal By Removing Shorts, Wearing them on His Head, Gets Red Card [Video]
- ESPN is Covering Every Angle Of the RGIII Workout
- squawkbox on TV Ratings For the NBA Playoff Series Between Memphis & San Antonio Are Predictably Putrid
- somewhereoverthedwaynebowe on TV Ratings For the NBA Playoff Series Between Memphis & San Antonio Are Predictably Putrid
- ms621 on Amazing GIF of Tony Allen's Acting Job vs Spurs Includes Appearances By Steven Spielberg, Brendan Fraser
- KC Resident on Cute Dog Goes on Canadian Morning Show to Pick Senators - Peguins Winner, Instead Chooses Bacon
- chicago on TV Ratings For the NBA Playoff Series Between Memphis & San Antonio Are Predictably Putrid
17 Responses to “NFL Draft: Miami Owner Stephen Ross Wants Ryan Tannehill, But Will He Give the Ultimatum to Take Him?”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.