Alistair Overeem has tested positive for heightened testosterone levels and could be out of his UFC heavyweight title fight at UFC 146. At a press conference for the event last week, Overeem, along with Junior dos Santos, Frank Mir, Cain Velasquez, Roy Nelson and Antonio Silva were all tested for performance enhancing drugs by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
According to an e-mail from NSAC executive director Keith Kizer, “All test results were negative, except Mr. Overeem tested positive for an increased T/E ratio (> 10). Mr. Overeem will need to appear before the Commission if he seeks licensure.”
This doesn’t look great for Overeem, who has roughly put on about 60 pounds of pure muscle over the last 7 years or so. Before UFC 141, Overeem kinda-sorta fled the country as the NSAC attempted to test him. Days after he was supposed to literally – and figuratively – pee in a cup, he submitted a clean sample overseas. After a hearing with the NSAC, he was granted a license to fight at UFC 141 where he beat the snot out of Brock Lesnar, earning a shot at Junior dos Santos’ heavyweight title at UFC 146. Who knows how the UFC 146 lineup will shake out between now and May 26 as all the UFC’s top heavyweights were scheduled to fight.
Update: Dana White is “beyond pissed.” He’s usually pretty upset, but he hardly ever uses such harsh language.
- Champions League: Borussia Dortmund’s Chance to Turn from Hipster Darlings to European Champions
- Jeff Goodman Has Left CBS Sports for ESPN
- This Tim Duncan Divorce Story is Somewhat Bizarre
- John Tortorella On Brad Richards Situation: “Kiss my ass if you want to write something different” [Video]
- Brand Lacrosse Takes Center Stage
- ms621 on The 10 Greatest Trilogies in Movie History
- hussler2 on The 10 Greatest Trilogies in Movie History
- Jason Lisk on The 10 Greatest Trilogies in Movie History
- A.P. on Champions League: Borussia Dortmund's Chance to Turn from Hipster Darlings to European Champions
- QueeferSutherland on The 10 Greatest Trilogies in Movie History
10 Responses to “Alistair Overeem Fails Surprise Pre-Fight Drug Test, May Have Lost His UFC 146 Title Shot”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.