Matt Barkley threw an interception at USC’s spring practice. In fact, he’s thrown seven of them, in eight practices. The Los Angeles media considered this fact to be, in the words of the immortal Teague Egan, crucial.
From the LA Times:
The interceptions are just one sign that this spring hasn’t been business as usual for Barkley, who announced in December that he would return for his final season with the Trojans.
“It’s abnormal for him,” Kiffin said. “He gets frustrated without the normal (receivers) in there and throws the ball down field. We’ll get him out of it.”
Kiffin joked he was not concerned about Barkley struggling.
“He can still declare for the supplemental draft. I can’t get too mad yet,” Kiffin said. “(And) he’s already shown phenomenal ball control (in the past).”
The guy who had the best touchdown-to-interception ratio in the Pac-12 last season is tossing a few more picks during spring ball than his coach would like to see. But USC coach Lane Kiffin isn’t too worried about quarterback Matt Barkley, who has thrown seven interceptions in eight practices. No expletives are being hurled, no panic buttons being pushed.
Kiffin described Barkley’s spring interceptions as “abnormal” because he did such a good job of avoiding them last season. Barkley had 39 touchdown passes and only seven interceptions during the 2011 season.
How many throws did Barkley make? Were these in drills? Scrimmages? Was he making reads or throwing to designated receivers? Was he hurt? This story is left intentionally vague, as though diving further would invalidate its premise, that this is somehow important.
We do receive a bit of context, that Barkley is being given fewer reps and he’s irked about his best receivers being injured. If that’s the case, why not write about how USC plans to cope with injuries? The injuries (a) have a tangible relevance to football next season and (b) present the most pressing challenge for USC to win the BCS title next season.
- John Tortorella And a Ref Dropped F-Bombs On Live TV During the Rangers-Bruins Game [Video]
- LeBron James and Paul George’s Epic Game 1 Battle Looks Even Cooler in Slow Motion [Video]
- Manchester City Players Were Super Excited To Catch Passes From Eli Manning [Video]
- Miami Heat Remix of Pitbull’s “Feel This Moment?” Dále!
- Buffalo Bills Fan Has O.J. Simpson Mug Shot Tattoo on His Thigh
- orly57 on John Tortorella And a Ref Dropped F-Bombs On Live TV During the Rangers-Bruins Game [Video]
- yorwifesahor on Buffalo Bills Fan Has O.J. Simpson Mug Shot Tattoo on His Thigh
- Nada on Fox Sports 1 Heavily in Pursuit of Former NFL Player Trevor Pryce and ESPN Chicago's Sarah Spain
- A.P. on Buffalo Bills Fan Has O.J. Simpson Mug Shot Tattoo on His Thigh
7 Responses to “The Los Angeles Media is Fixated on Matt Barkley’s Practice Interceptions”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.