In news that will be sad for college sports writers (and fellow compliance officers), John Infante is terminating the Bylaw Blog, with a final blog post on April 7.
The now Colorado State compliance officer started the blog covering NCAA issues anonymously in 2009, before revealing his identity and, eventually, reviving the blog on the NCAA’s website. With Yahoo! writers notching their shillelaghs on a near-weekly basis, Infante’s insight has become an indispensable resource. He has even been called in to consult for the likes of Mark Cuban.
His issues seem to be conflicts with his day job and not being able to express his opinions fully, while working for a school and writing for the NCAA’s website.
“I think I’ll probably have something out there, but I don’t know when or in what capacity it will return,” he says. “I still enjoy doing it, and I think some of the issues I was facing on the NCAA’s Web site will be mitigated if it’s anywhere else.”
Whether he’s the one to do it or not, Infante would like to see a site where someone curates news, analysis, and commentary on NCAA compliance issues. His model would be John Gruber, author of Daring Fireball, a lively blog about Apple and other tech news.
“He has strong opinions and he’s not afraid to say them, and he does his best to back them up with fact,” says Infante, who shares his opinion more in tweets than in his essay-like posts on the Bylaw Blog.
Hoping Infante will be back in long-form with us soon and that it will be unfettered at a media site.
- Tony Parker Denied Service at Memphis Restaurant (It Was Too Busy)
- LeBron James and Paul George Slapped Hands After Exchanging Spectacular Baskets to End the 3rd Quarter [Video]
- Paul George’s Vicious Dunk on Birdman Was Not Rated PG [Video]
- Matt Harvey, the New York Mets’ Star Pitcher, is Dating SI Swimsuit Model Anne V
- The Kansas City Royals Are Becoming the Royals Again, and Fans Have Been Far Too Patient
- jdeeser5 on Tony Parker Denied Service at Memphis Restaurant (It Was Too Busy)
- yorwifesahor on Tony Parker Denied Service at Memphis Restaurant (It Was Too Busy)
- Some Random Old Dude on Paul George's Vicious Dunk on Birdman Was Not Rated PG [Video]
- Some Random Old Dude on Tony Parker Denied Service at Memphis Restaurant (It Was Too Busy)
- Nada on Tony Parker Denied Service at Memphis Restaurant (It Was Too Busy)
One Response to “John Infante is Retiring the Bylaw Blog”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.