Prince Fielder was one of the few big-name free agents heading into the MLB offseason and remains as such because his agent happens to be the unflappable and frustratingly patient, Scott Boras. It’s the typical, drawn-out process we have all become accustomed to over the years whenever Boras has a marquee client waiting for an enamored general manager or owner to finally take the bait on a long term deal doused in astronomical dollars. Of course, the process is also taking its sweet time because according to Boras “there’s a lot of passengers of the PF flyer,” which in reality likely means there are two or three teams in play for Fielder’s services, and that right now there’s probably a rather large gap between what Boras is seeking and what the interested teams are willing to offer.
So in summation, when stripped of its spin, the update on the Prince Fielder situation is that there is no update on the Prince Fielder situation. But now that we have a an unofficial whiff of the Nationals possibly being in play, it’s difficult to imagine them not going all-in despite doing the same exact thing with Jayson Werth just one year ago to the tune of $127 million over seven years. Between Werth, Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper, among others, the Nats seemingly live to appease the lofty demands made by Scott Boras. And I can’t imagine anyone else other than Washington being foolish enough to offer somewhere in the neighborhood of $180-$200 million over 9 or 10 years — not even the Cubs, thanks to Theo’s presence — for a 27-year-old first baseman who might be rolling around the infield in Homer’s muumuu by the age of 33.
Until that happens though, we wait, perhaps as long as another month. If things continue to develop at a similar pace to Drew Bledsoe attempting to escape a collapsing pocket, at least we have Mr. Boras to entertain us. I’m just not sure he’ll top his recent quote in which he compared Prince’s diplomatic locker room presence to that of Henry Kissinger.
- Champions League Final: Neven Subotic Makes Terrific Sliding Stop to Thwart Sure Goal [Video]
- LeBron James and Michael Jordan Have Now Been Compared to God by NBA Players
- Champions League Final: Manuel Neuer’s Save is Your First-Half Highlight [Video]
- Adam Scott and Other Golfers are Retaining Counsel in Response to the USGA Anchor Putter Ban
- The Combination of Two Teams From Same Country Hasn’t Produced the Best Champions League Finals [Video Rewind]
- Nebomatic on Champions League Final: Manuel Neuer's Save is Your First-Half Highlight [Video]
- Monster is Meth on Champions League Final: Manuel Neuer's Save is Your First-Half Highlight [Video]
- BR1407 on Champions League Final: Manuel Neuer's Save is Your First-Half Highlight [Video]
- Monster is Meth on Adam Scott and Other Golfers are Retaining Counsel in Response to the USGA Anchor Putter Ban
- Nada on Adam Scott and Other Golfers are Retaining Counsel in Response to the USGA Anchor Putter Ban
52 Responses to “Scott Boras on Prince Fielder: “There’s a lot of passengers on the PF Flyer””
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.