Mark Salfino crunched the numbers and found some startling similarities between New York Jets’ QB Mark Sanchez and New York Giants’ QB Eli Manning after 41 regular season starts. (The postseason, where Sanchez has played his best ball – 60% completions, 94 QB rating, 9 TDs, 3 INTs – isn’t included.) Here they are:
You can sit around and argue things like:
* Who had better weapons at receiver?
* Who had a better running game?
* Which QB played tougher competition?
* Eli was a 3-year starter at Ole Miss; Sanchez started for less than a year and a half at USC!
Overall, it’s quite clear: the stats aren’t that different.
Here’s where it gets interesting – after Manning’s second full season as the starter (2006), the Giants made a move, firing offensive coordinator John Hufnagel, and promoting QB coach Kevin Gilbride to offensive coordinator. In year two under Gilbride, Manning flourished, his stats spiked, and the Giants won a Super Bowl. (The Giants had a really nice 2007 draft on the offensive side: Steve Smith, Kevin Boss and Ahmad Bradshaw all helped Manning’s maturation.)
The only question now is whether the Jets will promote Bill Callahan to offensive coordinator after this season, or go out and get a guy who is available, like Todd Haley (still KC’s head coach) or Marty Mornhinweg (still Philly’s OC). [SNY Why Guys]
PS- The Football Outsiders want you to have patience with Sanchez! He hasn’t been that bad this year. Note: This was written before the Denver debacle.
- Rich Rodriguez’s 50th Birthday Featured a Mariachi Band [Video]
- The Evolution of Chris ‘Birdman’ Andersen is the Craziest Set of Photos You’ll See This Week
- Champions League Final: Arjen Robben’s Late Goal Wins it for Bayern Munich [Video]
- Champions League Final: Neven Subotic Makes Terrific Sliding Stop to Thwart Sure Goal [Video]
- LeBron James and Michael Jordan Have Now Been Compared to God by NBA Players
- Roethlishotdog on The Evolution of Chris 'Birdman' Andersen is the Craziest Set of Photos You'll See This Week
- vermincain on LeBron James and Michael Jordan Have Now Been Compared to God by NBA Players
- A.P. on Rich Rodriguez's 50th Birthday Featured a Mariachi Band [Video]
- You People on Umpires Screw Up Another Call on This Texas Rangers 'Double Play' [GIF]
- VladimirCrouton on Rich Rodriguez's 50th Birthday Featured a Mariachi Band [Video]
226 Responses to “After Two and a Half Seasons, Mark Sanchez & Eli Manning Have Very, Very Similar Statistics”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.