From Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times comes this quirky tidbit: the New Orleans Saints are 0 for 11 on coin flips (10 to start the game, plus the overtime against Atlanta). Cleveland is also 0-fer on the year, starting the season with 9 coin flip losses.
This is where we can ask, how rare is that? Farmer’s article quotes STATS, inc. as saying the odds are roughly 2,000 to 1. Assuming that the coin isn’t rigged or Jerome Bettis isn’t calling the toss, I suppose that is one correct answer (2,048 to 1 to be exact). The odds that the Browns would have an 0 for 9 stretch, by the way, is a far more reasonable 1 in 512 by the same logic.
Of course, this question can be interpreted different ways. What are the odds that an NFL team would have an 0 for 11 stretch on coin flips? Turns out, probably pretty good that someone will every few years. It’s hard to come up with an exact number, given the randomness of overtime coin flips and how they vary in frequency from team to team, but think about this. There are 32 teams. They each have at least one coin flip for every game. Over the course of 4 seasons (64 games) then that’s at least 2,048 team coin flips (32*64) and more depending on overtimes. Finding an 11 game stretch would be somewhat rare, but not shocking, even though the odds are enormous. There have been a lot of coin flips in the NFL over the years, way more than 2,048.
In fact, it would be shocking not to hear about an NFL team going 0 for 11 every once in a while.
[photo via Getty]
- Chris Bosh Blocked Two Shots in the Final Moments to Help Miami Force Game 7 [Video]
- Ray Allen Forced Overtime By Hitting the 3-Pointer the Miami Heat Signed Him to Hit [Video]
- Mike Miller Hit a Huge 3-Pointer While Wearing Just One Shoe [Video]
- Jozy Altidore Scored Fourth Goal in Four Matches, Gave U.S. 1-0 Lead Against Honduras [Video]
- Tim Duncan Scores 25 in the First Half Against the Heat, Miami in Trouble
- Liquor on Chris Bosh Blocked Two Shots in the Final Moments to Help Miami Force Game 7 [Video]
- orly57 on Chris Bosh Blocked Two Shots in the Final Moments to Help Miami Force Game 7 [Video]
- Some Random Old Dude on Kawhi Leondard Slapped Mike Miller in the Face as He Dunked on Him in Game 6 [Video]
- vajayjay redick on Kawhi Leondard Slapped Mike Miller in the Face as He Dunked on Him in Game 6 [Video]
- resolutedefense on Kawhi Leondard Slapped Mike Miller in the Face as He Dunked on Him in Game 6 [Video]
2 Responses to “New Orleans Saints are 0 for 11 on Coin Flips, What Are the Odds of That?”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.