Kanye West and Jay-Z released Watch The Throne today. The album is a very important collaboration of arguably the two biggest names in rap music today. Predictably, everyone is talking about Watch The Throne. If you want your Twitter client to bug out, search for the album title or #WTT.
And why wouldn’t the internet be blowing up right now? These are two icons of the rap game. This is the equivalent of LeBron James and Dwyane Wade playing on the same team. This is a can’t-miss team! If you want to remain relevant on the web, I suggest you pick the album up post haste because…
Watch The Throne is, without a doubt, the most important work of art since Leonardo da Vinci and Michaelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni decided to hook up, mesh their talents and form the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Yeah. It’s that good. And if you don’t love it? You are a hater. Nobody likes a hater.
The album is incredible. Ye’s verses vary from hot to unstoppable while Hov brings the ruckus at an alarming pace. I’ve never heard such hip-hop music before and I don’t think I’m speaking out of school when I say that the game, as we once knew it, likely will not be viewed in the same way ever again.
Like anyone who cares about important artwork, I pre-ordered Watch The Throne on iTunes – the Streets of Digital Music Download. Obviously, I ordered the Delux version since I’m not a hobo and don’t intend on listening to songs on YouTube.
Let me tell you, it was fresh my friends. I started listening at midnight as soon as the first track downloaded. I stayed up all night scribbling notes about my favorite lyrics. There are plenty of “Did Yeezy really say that!?” moments. (Spoiler alert: Yeezy did say that!)
I haven’t stopped listening to Watch The Throne yet. In fact, I found a Monday morning funeral service to be much more enjoyable than previously expected while “Murder to Excellence” and “Ni**as In Paris” bumped through my Beats by Dr. Dre headphones. When my grandmother glared across the pew at me as I bobbed my head to and fro, I simply handed her the cans and put “Made In America” featuring the incomparable Frank Ocean on blast. Grandma quickly changed her tune and without prompting, proclaimed these two young men must be the “illest motherfuckers alive.” Word to your daughter, grandma. The entire room was in tears.
Even the mainstream media loves the album. USA Today’s Steve Jones lays it down as clear as day.
As soon as Jay-Z and Kanye West announced they were naming their joint album project Watch the Throne, it was clear that the superstar rappers were aiming to raise the creative bar for themselves and hip-hop in general. They’ve realized those ambitions on Throne(**** out of four), a potent set of tracks that finds them stepping up their games and stepping out of their comfort zones.
Indeed. If you know what is good for you and your reputation, you will buy this album and you will buy it last night at midnight. Otherwise, I’m afraid you’re a poser. When you drive through the neighborhood, you don’t want to sound like a poser.
[Image via Getty]
- Tony Parker Denied Service at Memphis Restaurant (It Was Too Busy)
- LeBron James and Paul George Slapped Hands After Exchanging Spectacular Baskets to End the 3rd Quarter [Video]
- Paul George’s Vicious Dunk on Birdman Was Not Rated PG [Video]
- Matt Harvey, the New York Mets’ Star Pitcher, is Dating SI Swimsuit Model Anne V
- The Kansas City Royals Are Becoming the Royals Again, and Fans Have Been Far Too Patient
- yorwifesahor on Tony Parker Denied Service at Memphis Restaurant (It Was Too Busy)
- Some Random Old Dude on Paul George's Vicious Dunk on Birdman Was Not Rated PG [Video]
- Some Random Old Dude on Tony Parker Denied Service at Memphis Restaurant (It Was Too Busy)
- Nada on Tony Parker Denied Service at Memphis Restaurant (It Was Too Busy)
- atlstylez on LeBron James and Paul George Slapped Hands After Exchanging Spectacular Baskets to End the 3rd Quarter [Video]
82 Responses to “Review: Jay-Z and Kanye West’s Watch The Throne”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.