If you are a fan of old men in mustard colored sportcoats, tonight is your night. The Class of 2011 will officially be inducted into the Halls of Canton. Tonight’s class is a diverse class, featuring two slam dunk guys, another (Sharpe) who was due to get in, and then Ed Sabol, founder of NFL Films, along with Bears defensive stalwart Richard Dent and two senior selections, Chris Hanburger of the Washington Redskins and Les Richter of the Los Angeles Rams.
Three sons will present for their fathers–Chris Hanburger, Les Richter (posthumously by his son) and of course, Steve Sabol presenting his father and partner with NFL Films, in what will surely be an emotional presentation as Steve has been treated for a brain tumor over the last year.
Richard Dent, who has been just on the outside of voting as a finalist for a while, will be presented by his college coach from Tennessee State. Prime Time and Marshall will both be presented by their agents, Eugene Parker and Rocky Arcenaux, in what should simply be the coronation for two spectacular careers that rank among the best at their positions.
Finally, the Shannon Sharpe speech and presentation should be emotional, as his older brother Sterling will be introducing him. Shannon was always chasing after Sterling, but Sterling’s career, Hall of Fame caliber for the stretch that he played, was cut short by injury. The ceremony will very much be like a celebration of both brothers getting in. Should be fun.
[photo via Getty]
- Champions League: Borussia Dortmund’s Chance to Turn from Hipster Darlings to European Champions
- Jeff Goodman Has Left CBS Sports for ESPN
- This Tim Duncan Divorce Story is Somewhat Bizarre
- John Tortorella On Brad Richards Situation: “Kiss my ass if you want to write something different” [Video]
- Brand Lacrosse Takes Center Stage
- Socalokie on "Matrix Bird" Escapes Death By Back-Flipping to Avoid Formula One Car During Monaco Grand Prix Practice [Video]
- ms621 on The 10 Greatest Trilogies in Movie History
- Trey on The 10 Greatest Trilogies in Movie History
- Shining Base Path on The 10 Greatest Trilogies in Movie History
- Clayton Cargill on The 10 Greatest Trilogies in Movie History
39 Responses to “Marshall Faulk, Deion Sanders, and Shannon Sharpe Enter Pro Football Hall of Fame Tonight”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.