The Princeton Review has released its list of the Top 20 party schools in the country and displacing Georgia in the top spot this year is Ohio University. The complete list is the below, and to nobody’s surprise, BYU won the sober school award for the 14th year in a row. Why makes Ohio University such a rabid party school?
Ohio University’s party reputation has long vexed administrators at the riverside school of about 20,000 students, and policies have been beefed up over the years in an attempt to reduce student drinking.
In formal complaints regarding violations of Ohio’s student code of conduct, about 60 percent are listed as alcohol-related in recent academic years, according to statistics posted online by the University Judiciaries, the school’s disciplinary division. In 2010-2011, 1,213 complaints, making up 59 percent of the total, involved alcohol, the numbers show.
The Halloween revelry dates to the 1970s and typically attracts at least 20,000 people to downtown Athens streets. Arrests and citations during the party, mostly for alcohol and disorderly conduct violations, have at times reached more than 200 in recent years.
The event spun out of control in 2003, when then-Athens Police Chief Rick Mayer called the bash “the worst event to date” after rioting partiers lit couches on fire, started fights and threw bottles at officers and firefighters.
Any males single and under 30 (35?) should probably put Ohio University on the list of September/October road trips.
If you’d like to see who won all the other categories, click here.
Top 20 party schools:
1. Ohio University, Athens, Ohio
2. University of Georgia, Athens, Ga.
3. University of Mississippi, Oxford, Miss.
4. University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
5. University of California Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, Calif.
6. West Virginia University, Morgantown, W. Va.
7. Penn State University, University Park, Pa.
8. Florida State University, Tallahassee, Fla.
9. University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla.
10. University of Texas, Austin, Texas
11. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
12. Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
13. Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, La.
14. University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wis.
15. DePauw University, Greencastle, Ind.
16. Indiana University, Bloomington, Ind.
17. Arizona State University, Tempe, Ariz.
18. University of Maryland, College Park, Md.
19. University of Vermont, Burlington, Vt.
20. University of South Carolina, Columbia, S.C.
- Chris Bosh Blocked Two Shots in the Final Moments to Help Miami Force Game 7 [Video]
- Ray Allen Forced Overtime By Hitting the 3-Pointer the Miami Heat Signed Him to Hit [Video]
- Mike Miller Hit a Huge 3-Pointer While Wearing Just One Shoe [Video]
- Jozy Altidore Scored Fourth Goal in Four Matches, Gave U.S. 1-0 Lead Against Honduras [Video]
- Tim Duncan Scores 25 in the First Half Against the Heat, Miami in Trouble
- Liquor on Chris Bosh Blocked Two Shots in the Final Moments to Help Miami Force Game 7 [Video]
- orly57 on Chris Bosh Blocked Two Shots in the Final Moments to Help Miami Force Game 7 [Video]
- Some Random Old Dude on Kawhi Leondard Slapped Mike Miller in the Face as He Dunked on Him in Game 6 [Video]
- vajayjay redick on Kawhi Leondard Slapped Mike Miller in the Face as He Dunked on Him in Game 6 [Video]
- resolutedefense on Kawhi Leondard Slapped Mike Miller in the Face as He Dunked on Him in Game 6 [Video]
141 Responses to “Ohio University is the No. 1 Party School, According to the Princeton Review”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.