On August 2, 1979, Yankees Captain Thurman Munson, back in Ohio with his family on an off day, dies in plane crash . . . The MLB Strike ends (1981) . . . Hideki Irabu optioned to the minors after three rough starts (1997) . . . College All-Stars upset two-time champion Green Bay Packers (1963) . . . Arkansas accepts invite to join SEC (1990) . . . A proposal to allow unlimited substitution in baseball (1958) . . . Woody Hayes turned in Michigan State for recruiting violations (1976) . . . The I-35W Bridge in Minneapolis collapses (2007) . . .
Mary Lou Retton becomes America’s Sweetheart (1984) . . . Rickey Henderson steals his 100th base in game #105 (1982) . . . Summer Sanders wins fourth medal (1992) . . . England-West Germany World Cup Finals draws an estimated 400 million viewers (1966) . . . John McEnroe and Tatum O’Neal get married (1986) . . . African-American athletes will not boycott the Olympics, could protest (1968) . . . Namath and other sports millionaires (1975) . . . Barney versus the San Diego Chicken (1998) . . .
Barry Sanders retires on the eve of training camp (1999) . . . Reggie Jackson charged with assault on 13-year old boy (1977) . . . Roberto Baggio shockingly hates penalty kick shootouts, thinks games should be replayed (1994) . . . Female reporter sues Yale University, Giants, and Jets after she is not allowed in press box (1969) . . . Champion Bull Rider Lane Frost killed by bull (1989) . . . Norm Van Lier arrested for leading an assault on police station (1972) . . . Baylor basketball player Patrick Dennehy found dead (2003).
[photo via Getty]
- Buffalo Bills Fan Has O.J. Simpson Mug Shot Tattoo on His Thigh
- Fox Sports 1 Heavily in Pursuit of Former NFL Player Trevor Pryce and ESPN Chicago’s Sarah Spain
- Premier League: What Each Club Should Prioritize in the Summer
- Footage of Kelly Tripucka Unveiling the Original Teal Charlotte Hornets’ Uniforms in 1988 is Breathtaking [Video]
- NFL Coaches Using Microsoft Tablets on the Sidelines in the Future Should Lead to Advances in Clock Management and Strategy
- Jason McIntyre on Fox Sports 1 Heavily in Pursuit of Former NFL Player Trevor Pryce and ESPN Chicago's Sarah Spain
- oranjebleeder on Premier League: What Each Club Should Prioritize in the Summer
- ButtersBC on Buffalo Bills Fan Has O.J. Simpson Mug Shot Tattoo on His Thigh
- angry on Fox Sports 1 Heavily in Pursuit of Former NFL Player Trevor Pryce and ESPN Chicago's Sarah Spain
- Monster is Meth on Fox Sports 1 Heavily in Pursuit of Former NFL Player Trevor Pryce and ESPN Chicago's Sarah Spain
69 Responses to “Friday Flashbacks: Thurman Munson Plane Crash, Mary Lou Retton Wins Gold, and Barry Sanders Retires”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.