19 year old Monica Seles, #1 ranked player in the world, is stabbed by a crazed fan at a tournament in Germany (1993) . . . NFL rookies are making too much (1981) . . . President Bush appoints Arnold Schwarzenegger as the chairman of the President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports (1990) . . . Hideki Irabu free to negotiate with Yankees (1997) . . . Bruins forward Craig MacTavish pleads guilty to vehicular homicide, sentenced to one year in jail (1984) . . . Rosie Ruiz stripped of Boston Marathon crown after officials determine she didn’t run the full race (1980) . . .
Mark Gastineau gets Brigitte Nielsen pregnant (1988) . . . “Sports Night ends Fine First Season (1999) . . . Warren Spahn throws 2nd no hitter in six starts at age 40 (1961) . . . Lyman Bostock donates his April salary to charity after a rough start to the season. (1978) . . . Penguins Defenseman Peter Taglianetti uses peanut butter to help an injured left ankle (1992) . . . USGA concerned new balls and clubs will render existing courses obsolete (1973) . . . In the middle of the Rockets’ run to the NBA finals, Olajuwon has warrant issued for his arrest after misdemeanor assault on convenience store clerk (1986) . . .
“NCAA chief says all sports should be subject to anti-trust law” (1972) . . . The French judge who allegedly favored Russian skaters is suspended (2002) . . . Sports writer goes undercover posing as police officer and solves burglary (1956) . . . Seattle Seahawks trade the 2nd pick to Dallas, who selects Tony Dorsett (1977) . . . Ayrton Senna dies in crash at the Imola track in Italy (1994) . . . Reggie Jackson reports to Orioles after a four-week holdout following trade (1976) . . . Royals owner Ewing Kaufman’s baseball academy idea (1970) . . . Lew Alcindor chooses UCLA (1965).
[photo via Getty]
- Champions League Final: Manuel Neuer’s Save is Your First-Half Highlight [Video]
- Adam Scott and Other Golfers are Retaining Counsel in Response to the USGA Anchor Putter Ban
- The Combination of Two Teams From Same Country Hasn’t Produced the Best Champions League Finals [Video Rewind]
- Will Smith & DJ Jazzy Jeff Sang the Fresh Prince Song and Alfonso Ribeiro Danced on the Graham Norton Show
- Robbie Rogers Becomes 1st Openly Gay Player in MLS, How Will Media React?
- Nebomatic on Champions League Final: Manuel Neuer's Save is Your First-Half Highlight [Video]
- Monster is Meth on Champions League Final: Manuel Neuer's Save is Your First-Half Highlight [Video]
- BR1407 on Champions League Final: Manuel Neuer's Save is Your First-Half Highlight [Video]
- Monster is Meth on Adam Scott and Other Golfers are Retaining Counsel in Response to the USGA Anchor Putter Ban
- Nada on Adam Scott and Other Golfers are Retaining Counsel in Response to the USGA Anchor Putter Ban
27 Responses to “Friday Flashbacks: Monica Seles Stabbed, Rosie Ruiz and the Boston Marathon”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.