The Pac-10 will supposedly extend six invitations to teams in the Big 12 this week. The expansion invites are expected to go to Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado. (A month ago, a mystery man bought Pac16.com.) The Big Ten is expected to poach Nebraska and Missouri (unless it can get Notre Dame instead of the Tigers). That leaves Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and Baylor as the big losers. Without question, the Kansas Jayhawks basketball program, one of the most storied in the history of the sport, might be forced to – gasp! – accept an invitation from the Mountain West Conference. (The MWC wants Boise State, too.) Goodnight, Jayhawks.
How about starting the Bill Self speculation! Because if the Jayhawks end up in the MWC, and are no longer on TV all the time (enjoy the midnight game on Big Monday!) they definitely won’t be getting elite recruits like Josh Selby. Let’s assume Self bolts. To Kentucky if John Calipari leaves for the NBA? Texas for Rick Barnes? Could Self land in the Big East, assuming it is still standing? Justifiably, there’s panic in Kansas. Lew Perkins, the school’s AD who is already embroiled in a mess, needs a miracle.
The Superconference madness is too fluid to invest a lot of energy in. What will Notre Dame do? Does the Big Ten just want the two teams from the Big 12, or does it want to make a move on somebody in the Big East, too? What becomes of the ACC, a horrible football conference (though we stand by our UNC pick next year)? Does the SEC make a move on anyone? For now, we can just stare longingly into this 16-team, 4-conference chart and envision a 16-team playoff with the Top 3 teams from each conference plus 4 teams from outside the “Big 64.”
- Bob Stoops: Home Was Burglarized, Had Car Stolen
- Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal’s KO of the Year Candidate Against Seth Petruzelli at Bellator 96
- Break-Up Song About Players Leaving Via Free Agency Should Make Fans Cry
- Fight Master: Bellator MMA: Freshening Up a Tired Format
- John Wall Tattoos Are of the Raleigh Skyline and ‘The Great Wall’
- PL StabbinKabin on Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal's KO of the Year Candidate Against Seth Petruzelli at Bellator 96
- PL StabbinKabin on Neymar's Silky Dribbling Schools the Mexican Defense, Sets Up Another Brazilian Goal [Video]
- VladimirCrouton on Bob Stoops: Home Was Burglarized, Had Car Stolen
- KC Resident on Break-Up Song About Players Leaving Via Free Agency Should Make Fans Cry
- A.P. on Break-Up Song About Players Leaving Via Free Agency Should Make Fans Cry
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.