On the heels of last week’s bombshell report that former Memphis star Derrick Rose had someone else take his SAT for him in 2007 – the school denied any wrongdoing yesterday – CBS Sports reports that another player from that 2008 Memphis team, Robert Dozier, would have ended up at Georgia, but the school refused to admit him based on a “fishy” SAT score. Hope nobody’s surprised.
Everyone bends the rules. (Remember Calipari at UMass?) It’s been this way for decades. Coaches are going to dig deep into their bag of tricks to secure elite talent, because those players equal wins and revenue for the school and, ultimately, money for the coaches. The degree to which everyone cheats is up for debate. Andy Katz is pinning some of the blame on the NBA’s new age limit.
What is the common thread? The 19-year-old age limit/one-year-out-of-high-school-rule the NBA has in place. If the NBA rule wasn’t in place, then O.J. Mayo, Derrick Rose, Nate Miles and [Renardo] Sidney would have never played in college. If they failed, then they failed. That’s life. But to attempt to get them eligible makes a mockery of the institutions.
The good news is, the great memories (Camby leading UMass to the 1996 Final Four, Rose leading Memphis to the 2008 title game) can’t be altered. This situation doesn’t taint Rose a bit. He’ll be an elite point guard for another decade. Chris Webber’s outstanding two years at Michigan were marred by a timeout, not by the thousands of dollars he took from a booster. Same for Lamar Odom and his sketchy high school and college transcripts.
If the coach’s want to take that chance, they’re putting their legacy on the line. How come nobody’s every asked how Allen Iverson (bless his tattooed heart) got into Georgetown, especially after being imprisoned for part of his high school career?
- John Tortorella And a Ref Dropped F-Bombs On Live TV During the Rangers-Bruins Game [Video]
- LeBron James and Paul George’s Epic Game 1 Battle Looks Even Cooler in Slow Motion [Video]
- Manchester City Players Were Super Excited To Catch Passes From Eli Manning [Video]
- Miami Heat Remix of Pitbull’s “Feel This Moment?” Dále!
- Buffalo Bills Fan Has O.J. Simpson Mug Shot Tattoo on His Thigh
- yorwifesahor on Buffalo Bills Fan Has O.J. Simpson Mug Shot Tattoo on His Thigh
- Nada on Fox Sports 1 Heavily in Pursuit of Former NFL Player Trevor Pryce and ESPN Chicago's Sarah Spain
- A.P. on Buffalo Bills Fan Has O.J. Simpson Mug Shot Tattoo on His Thigh
- A.P. on Fox Sports 1 Heavily in Pursuit of Former NFL Player Trevor Pryce and ESPN Chicago's Sarah Spain
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.